Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Policemen awarded the V.C.

TwoEssGee

I was recently reading something about Sgt John McAulay VC DCM, 1st Battalion Scots Guards who was awarded the Victoria Cross at Fontaine Notre Dame on 27 November 1917. He was a pre war policeman in the City of Glasgow Police, and returned to his previous occupation after the war.

It was mentioned that he was one of only 7 policemen who were awarded the VC during the war, and the only such Scottish recipient. It got me wondering who the others were. I knew about Michael O'Leary and George Wyatt, but I have only identified one of the others, John Raynes.

John McAulay VC DCM, Sgt, 1st Batt Scots Guards - City of Glasgow Police

Michael John O'Leary VC, L/Cpl, 1st Batt Irish Guards - Royal Northwest Mounted Police

John Crawshaw Raynes VC, Sgt, Royal Field Artillery - Leeds City Police 

George Henry Wyatt VC, L/Cpl, 3rd Batt Coldstream Guards - Barnsley Borough Police

I am also aware of 2 others who became policemen following their military service, those being -

Wilfred Dolby Fuller VC, L/Cpl, 1st Batt Grenadier Guards, who joined Somerset Constabulary after his discharge in 1916 

Robert Gordon McBeath VC, L/Cpl, 1/5th Batt Seaforth Highlanders, who joined the British Colombia Provincial Police and later the Vancouver PD (where he was murdered on duty)

and one, who had previously served as a policeman but had resigned pre war to become a barman in Ashford, Kent -

Harry Wells VC, Sgt, 2nd Batt Royal Sussex Regiment, who served with Kent Constabulary between 1911 and 1913.

Can anyone help with the ones I have missed?

2 minutes ago, HarryBrook said:

Possibly.

I'm not even sure the original quoted number of 7 is accurate, but Mick O'Leary was serving with the RNWMP in Canada before returning to the Irish Guards, so I'll assume any of the British, Dominion or Imperial Forces were included.

I see that Captain Newland was a Tasmanian Policeman between 1907 and 1910, so unlike the first 4 in the above list he didn't go straight from police service to army service, so perhaps he cannot be accurately called a policeman.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Iain.

On Blackpool Police war memorial is Acting Inspector Alfred V. Smith VC East Lancs Reg.    Alfred Victor Smith born 22nd July 1891 was the son of the Chief Constable of Burnley police.  He was serving as a 2nd Lt with the 1/5th East Lancs Regiment at Helles, Gallipoli on the 23rd December 1915 when a grenade he was about to throw slipped from his hand into the trench.  Apparently he managed to get out of the trench but on seeing that others were unable to do so he jumped back in and threw himself onto the grenade which exploded and killed him instantly, he was aged 24 years.  He had also been awarded the French Croix de Guerre but I do not know when this was awarded.  As well as being on Blackpool police war memorial, he is recorded on others in Burnley.

John

• 7 years later...
On 19/01/2017 at 23:43, TwoEssGee said:

Sgt John McAulay VC DCM, 1st Battalion Scots Guards who was awarded the Victoria Cross at Fontaine Notre Dame on 27 November 1917.

For sale online: image.jpeg.9876c059614bb8c6e64ffd4f3bccf64f.jpeg

image.jpeg.783ffc3cab96cf3af60599d1bafc95fe.jpeg

Edited by Ivor Anderson

7 hours ago, Ivor Anderson said:

For sale online:

image.jpeg.9876c059614bb8c6e64ffd4f3bccf64f.jpeg

image.jpeg.783ffc3cab96cf3af60599d1bafc95fe.jpeg

Also recently discussed on the Facebook page "Military Fakes and Forgeries" - suffice to say the reviews of this aren't favourable... (note the mis-spelled "Cambrai" for example).

On 04/03/2024 at 12:57, Andrew Upton said:

Also recently discussed on the Facebook page "Military Fakes and Forgeries" - suffice to say the reviews of this aren't favourable... (note the mis-spelled "Cambrai" for example).

Thanks for the warning Andrew. Wasn't intending to buy it. An interesting artifact if it is genuine, worrying if not.