Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nelson Btn RND- diary for Jan 1917 please!

cazj58

Hi folks!

Does anyone have the diaries for NELSON BATTALION, RND, for around the date of 22nd January 1917.

I'm trying to find out why this best friend of my great uncle's, John W Cowie, Clyde Z/1202, was killed on that date; as no 'actions' seems to be apparent on that day- or at least I can't find any!

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, especially as the 100th anniversary of his death is imminent.

Thanks, Carol.

Nelson Battalion had been on the left of the Beaucourt front line since early on 19 January and under heavy German artillery bombardment for a lot of the time. The war diary for 22 January reads "22 January – BEAUCOURT (LEFT) - Consolidation of outposts and front line system continued. Artillery active on both sides.  Battalion relieved by HAWKE Battalion.  Relief complete by 11 pm. Battalion took up position in Reserve Lines."

The battalion lost about a dozen men during this four day period in the front line.

Brilliant! Thank you so much horatio2!

John was one of my great uncle (William R Milne, Hawke Btn, Clyde Z/1212)'s best friends, along wiith Robert A G Scott (Clyde Z/1203).

William was KIA on 3.2.17 and Robert was KIA on 4.2.17. I have the Hawke unit diaries for those dates, but didn't have anything for John.

They were all from Buckie, Scotland and enlisted in 1914, serving together in Hawke until John was taken ill in Aug 15, hospitalised, and on his discharge in Feb 1916, he was then transferred from 2nd Hawke Battalion, Blandford to Nelson Battalion BEF (Rangefinder) on 10th July 1916- no idea what the Rangefinder bit means!

Since his 100th anniversary is imminent, and I'm heading out to the Somme for Willie's 100th anniversary on Feb 3rd, I thought I'd like to check and see where John fell so that perhaps I could trace his steps too. Willie and Bob appear to have been killed in the attacks on Puisieux Trench, so hope to try to visit it that; although the site of it seem to vary depending on which map you happen to look at. I've seen it placed near the Bois de Hollande and Baillescourt Farm, and also back towards Serre and Pendant Copse- no idea which position is accurate.

Anyway thank you again for the info about Nelson Bn- it's much appreciated!

The objectives for the early February RND action were Puisieux and River trenches which ran due north from the River Ancre approximately 300 yards and 500 yards, respectively, to the east of the Bois d'Hollande. It looks as though Milne and Scott were probably both in 'A' Company of Hawke Battalion. This was the support company for the action. 

The fullest description of the Hawke's fighting is in the battalion history, "The Hawke Battalion" by Douglas Jerrold.

Edited by horatio2

Thanks for that- the book just arrived yesterday! Can I ask how you figured out they were in a support company please? I thought A Coy was front line....obviously wrongly! :(