Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AMMUNITION

Old Tom

Souvenirs - Fuse Caps

I have two fuse caps which my father brought back from France at the end of the war and which have stood in various fire places etc since then and have been polished each year. I am not an ammunition expert and guess that they would be for a 4.5” or 6” shell. When giving their annual shine I noted that one has a lot of stamp marks, the other has none. I wonder if anyone out there can supply any detail.

Both have an about 2” male threaded base and are about 2” from end of thread to cone end. Each is in four pieces. The base piece is graduated from 1 to 22 divided into tenths which I suppose is time to burst from time of firing.

One has a slotted cone and is stamped in various places – 181 - TH72 – 7/18 date of manufacture? – No 94 – R crossed out – 11 – and what I assume are maker’s marks one a Z with two small Zs and the other very faint something like a Circle imposed on a W.

The other cone has recesses for a peg tool and has a spike which enters a hole through the base piece. It has no stamp marks.

94 Number on British fuzes. Time and Percussion Fuze. 88 filled with Chilworth Composition. 42 seconds burning time for long range Shrapnel. Introduced 1918. Obsolete 1921.