Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1915 Lapel badge

Guest Judy Buckley

Guest Judy Buckley

Badge worn by 2nd Lieutenant 2/4th Reserve Battalion Essex Regiment, December 1915.

This is clearly not the three turreted Essex castle. But what is it?

And what is the little cross underneath it.

Judy Buckley

post-23-1102783306.jpg

The little cross underneath is not a Tau cross but a capital letter 'T' for Territorial.

The three items on the shield are scimitars from the arms of Essex - or - more correctly Saxon swords or ‘seaxes’. *

William

* Gules, three Seaxes fessewise in pale Argent, pommels and hilts Or, pointed to the sinister and cutting edges upwards."

I think the badge says "The Essex Regt." (I can't really make out the photo too well and I'm not a badge collector.)

William

P.S. You have my hundredth posting!!

Here, hopefully is a slightly clearer scan from a 1917 photo of an Essex Officer's collar badge.

Oooh, I am obviously not as quick as Jim

Steve

Guest Judy Buckley

Thank you too, Steve. Your photo shows it on a lapel, where my grandfather was wearing his.

The buttons are a bit difficult to see in my photo, and MIGHT just be the castle I expected for Essex (after looking at sites with badges for sale)

Does anyone know what was on the buttons? I could post a photo, but probably don't need to?

java script:emoticon(':(')

Judy

The buttons are a bit difficult to see in my photo, and MIGHT just be the castle

The Essex Regiment wore Buttons with the Castle,in around 1880,They then wore Buttons bearing the French Standard Eagle,in Commemoration of the Capture of The French Tri~Coleur Standard atopped with a Brass Eagle @ I believe Quatre Bras during the Napoleonic wars,by the then 44th Foot.

NB: With regard to the Collar Badge,these were worn in Pairs,on the Lapels by Officers Other Ranks Sometimes wore Collar "Dogs" [ie Badges]on Service Dress[More often not]In the case of the Essex Regiment O/R Badges omitted the Scroll,they just wore the Shield when wearing Collar badges

This is clearly not the three turreted Essex castle.

Does anyone know what the castle stands for? I lived in Essex for over 10 years and I wouldn't associate this emblem with Essex - unlike the three "scimitars", which is on the County Council logo, the police helmets, the cricket team sweaters, etc.

And Essex as a county is not well endowed with impressive castles.

This is clearly not the three turreted Essex castle.

Does anyone know what the castle stands for? I lived in Essex for over 10 years and I wouldn't associate this emblem with Essex - unlike the three "scimitars", which is on the County Council logo, the police helmets, the cricket team sweaters, etc.

And Essex as a county is not well endowed with impressive castles.

It is the "Gibraltar" Castle,Worn by a number of other Regiments who had "Gib" as a Battle distinction.{Dorsetshire,Northamptonshire,Suffolk}A Regimental rather than County Badge as the Three "Seaxes"{Scimitars} are

Judy

Not a very clear picture but it is more reminiscent of the Eagle Button,especially as worn 1915,The "Garnish" around the Eagle would be a Oak Leaf Wreath