Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medicine and the Great War

seaJane

Catalogue of a Wellcome exhibition of 1968 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Armistice. Some interesting illustrations in the second half; I was particularly intrigued by the Japanese nurses at Netley on p.72. https://archive.org/stream/b2045708x#page/n3/mode/2up

Edited by seaJane
add comment

Jane, the Museum of Military Medicine has a large photograph album of the Red Cross hospital at Netley and if I remember rightly the Japanese nurses feature in that.

Pete

Just spotted on page 64 a different photo of the 'wild eyed, staring man' always used to illustrate those that suffered from shell shock (looks quite happy to me).

Clipboard02.jpg

Usual cropped image of 'obvious shell shock victim'

Clipboard01.jpg

Same man being treated at the same time. Note ripped trousers at knee and chin strap protruding from under brodie

TEW

You were quick to spot that one TEW.

Not sure those trousers are ripped though.

Bare knees definitely, but the trousers have a tidy edge on them, a hem even, the edges don't look jagged to me.

The nearest stretcher bearer in the classic photo of Passchendaele mud has his trousers in a similar style:

http://zoom.iwm.org.uk/view/36333?cat=photographs&oid=object-205193365

Nice book by the way seaJane, some famous names in some of those references- Starling, Cushing, Wenckebach, Boyle, Guillain... the list goes on.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

6 hours ago, petestarling said:

Jane, the Museum of Military Medicine has a large photograph album of the Red Cross hospital at Netley and if I remember rightly the Japanese nurses feature in that.

Pete

Thanks Pete!