Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Naval Sea Bathing Hospital, Brighton

We were talking about a relative who was wounded in the chest on the Somme in 1916. The wound took a very long time to heal and he always said that he spent a long time in this hospital. Presumably salt water bathing was a good treatment.

Does anyone have any information about this hospital or sea bathing as a treatment?

I come from Hove ......... anyone staggering over the pebbles to bathe in the freezing cold sea at Brighton must have been either coerced or mad.

Never heard of the hospital, might be a wind-up.

Hi

I have searched Google but cannot find anything for you. I believe that Queen Victoria made sea-bathing fashionable however.

Sue L. may be able to assist you re the hospital.

Robbie

Angie

I can't help with the hospital location however this may be of background interest.

In the middle of the 18th century some doctors began to claim that diseases could be cured by bathing in sea-water. George III was the first monarch to believe this advice and he regularly visited Weymouth for a swim. His son, the future George IV, spent a great deal of time in Brighton and eventually built the Royal Pavilion in the town.

By 1750, with the popularity of Dr Richard Russell's sea-cure, Brighton took over from Bath as the principal centre in England for health and culture.

Margate had a special Sea-Bathing Hospital known as The Royal Sea Bathing Hospital which opened in 1791.

Dave

Margate had a special Sea-Bathing Hospital known as The Royal Sea Bathing Hospital which opened in 1791.

I can't find anything on Google either and I suspect he got his locations confused. This could be the one.

I know that salt baths are sometimes used even today to assist post-operation recovery, so sea bathing is not far fetched.

Yes, Brighton beach is certainly stony, but didn't they have those odd bathing "machines"?

Yes, Brighton beach is certainly stony, but didn't they have those odd bathing "machines"?

The machines were to keep your privates private, and did little or nothing for the feet. They had disappeared by the time I ventured in, about 1945 I guess. Before that there was a risk of being torpedoed.

The machines were to keep your privates private, and did little or nothing for the feet.

Didn't they wear something (e.g., sandshoes) on their feet?

You Brits must be hardy souls with very hardy soles. <_<

Robbie