Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AB 27a? What was it?

Andy Wade

Hi,

Can anyone tell me exactly what an AB27a was please?

I'm assuming it's a form or a book used in connection with army medical procedures, but other than that I'm unclear exactly what it was used for, Ideally I'd like to see one if anyone has a copy or a photograph please.

It's named in the first column of the Keighley War Hospital Register which we're looking into transcribing and I need to describe the various columns in supporting literature, so I would be grateful for any help with this one please.

AB27a.jpg

Edited by Andy Wade

Possibly the same or similar to this form mentioned on another thread "Army Form A 27 Morning State of Sick " - looks like a 'sick roll' or very similar.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Yes, I'd seen that thanks, which is all I currently have on the thing. I reckon A.B. is 'Army Book' but I would like to be able to make sense of the column entries which are all codes like T. 5432 and similars. occasionally there's no prefix letter and it's just a number.

3 minutes ago, Andy Wade said:

Yes, I'd seen that thanks, which is all I currently have on the thing. I reckon A.B. is 'Army Book' but I would like to be able to make sense of the column entries which are all codes like T. 5432 and similars. occasionally there's no prefix letter and it's just a number.

I'd agree on A.B. being Army Book .

If you can post the other columns then someone may be able to help with that.

Craig

The other columns are all pretty much self explanatory. the whole list is:

Number in A.B. 27a
Unit or Regiment
Regimental Number
Rank
Name
Sick or wounded
Date of admission
Date of discharge
Results
Remarks

Incidentally the register is arranged in 20 sections, each section is alphabetical like an address book with tabs, and starts with Cavalry, Guards, Royal Artillery, then the remainder of the army regiments, all in order of seniority. I think the register will be of national importance to those studying what we do and genealogists as well.
The final section (20) is for the German prisoners from Raikeswood Camp at Skipton who were sent here for treatment.

Edited by Andy Wade

'Army Book 27a - Admission and Discharge Book - For Field Service'

I've contacted Alan Seymour although he hasn't logged in to the forum for a long while:

Andy

In reply to you email I've now found my ARMY BOOK 27a.  I've scanned each section and attached the file.  Not sure if it has here (doesn't show) so I've also sent it to your via your email address as well.

Alan

Hi Alan,

That's absolutely marvellous, thank you so much. We have a Heritage Lottery fund meeting tomorrow evening about the grant for the digitisation of this register, and it will be great to be able to make sense of this column at last. I will make sure you are credited in the literature as well, because we always fully credit our sources.

Our intention is to make a transcription of this whole register publicly available (and searchable) on-line for free, so anyone will be able to access the information without paying for it, unlike so many other sets of records. There are 13,214 names in it and all of them soldiers from the Great War. The last section contains Germans as well, so it could well be of use to anyone from Germany researching their relatives as well.