Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone doing Malta casualties?

museumtom

The following man has been accepted by IFCP, his burial location is unknown though. No 29393, L-Cpl, John Lewis Richardson, RDF, born Malta, and possibly buried in Dublin. Died four weeks after discharge, on 31/01/1918. Can any Malta pals help with burial location please? If not he will just be a name on a memorial. If we can find his burial location he should get a headstone, if he is accepted.

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f007273212%2f01261&parentid=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f7273212%2f118%2f1261&highlights=""

Kindest regards.

Tom.

John Lewis Richardson.PNG

Edited by museumtom

Tom

You could try the local paper Times of Malta - contact details

Malta is a very small country, I am just back from there yesterday. About the population of Belfast, so they are always looking for items for the local paper, and if you can get a nice story together, you should get them to run it. Everyone knows everyone there and if he were to have been  local (and he appears to be) then there will be descendants there today

• 4 years later...

@museumtom we have swapped a few messages about Royal Hibernian Military School old boys previously and JL Richardson was also a Student at the school.  I see that you have had him commemorated by the CWGC since this post but did you ever confirm his burial location?

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

Sorry lad, I never did find his burial place. The database is up to date.

https://irelandsgreatwardead.ie/the-archive/

Thanks for the reply Tom.

He was definitely buried in the Royal Hibernian Military School graveyard but it is likely his grave has been lost and Brookwood will have to suffice.  Few excerpts copied below from the school magazine:

April 1918 Hibernia

He was buried with full military honours at the Hib. as he had requested… 

April 1920 Hibernia

Two years ago Mr. J. L. Richardson, formerly Senior Student at the Hib., was laid to rest in our cemetery.  The grave is still unmarked save by the flowers which are so regularly placed upon it by an old friend belonging to the Staff.  A subscription list for a headstone was opened some time ago among the old Students, and the amount in hand is £7 12s. 6d.; at least another £8 7s. 6d. is required...

July 1920 Hibernia

The conviction we expressed in our last issue that the old Hib. Students would soon subscribe the amount necessary for the provision of a headstone for the grave of Mr. J. L. Richardson has proved correct…

The inscription runs as follows:-

SACRED

to the memory of 

JOHN J. RICHARDSON,

Student, R.H.M.S., 1912-1916,

who died 31st January, 1918,

Lead Kindly Light,

R.I.P.

Erected to his memory

By “Hibs.” Past and Present.

48 minutes ago, chrisharley9 said:

Royal Hibernian School Cemetery, County Dublin, Ireland: Burial Records (interment.net)

It is now part of Grangegorman Military Cemetery - now we know where to look

The graveyard at the old RHMS site is still there and has a CWGC grave already, but interesting that it is considered ‘part’ of the Grangegorman Mil Cemetery now though. Hopefully his grave may be located one day…

On 31/12/2021 at 14:24, AN Dukie said:

Thanks for the reply Tom.

He was definitely buried in the Royal Hibernian Military School graveyard but it is likely his grave has been lost and Brookwood will have to suffice.  Few excerpts copied below from the school magazine:

April 1918 Hibernia

He was buried with full military honours at the Hib. as he had requested… 

April 1920 Hibernia

Two years ago Mr. J. L. Richardson, formerly Senior Student at the Hib., was laid to rest in our cemetery.  The grave is still unmarked save by the flowers which are so regularly placed upon it by an old friend belonging to the Staff.  A subscription list for a headstone was opened some time ago among the old Students, and the amount in hand is £7 12s. 6d.; at least another £8 7s. 6d. is required...

July 1920 Hibernia

The conviction we expressed in our last issue that the old Hib. Students would soon subscribe the amount necessary for the provision of a headstone for the grave of Mr. J. L. Richardson has proved correct…

The inscription runs as follows:-

SACRED

to the memory of 

JOHN J. RICHARDSON,

Student, R.H.M.S., 1912-1916,

who died 31st January, 1918,

Lead Kindly Light,

R.I.P.

Erected to his memory

By “Hibs.” Past and Present.

Would you be able to send me copies of the magazine please?

Just now, chrisharley9 said:

Would you be able to send me copies of the magazine please?

If you PM me your email I’ll send you some screenshots but I don’t have copies of the complete magazines.

3 hours ago, AN Dukie said:

The graveyard at the old RHMS site is still there and has a CWGC grave already, but interesting that it is considered ‘part’ of the Grangegorman Mil Cemetery now though. Hopefully his grave may be located one day…

You got a name for the CWGC grave there already as I have an idea

Its OK found the one you are on about - does not help though

8 minutes ago, chrisharley9 said:

Its OK found the one you are on about - does not help though

No problem - I was too slow!  Bernard Martin's father was on the staff at the school hence his burial in the graveyard.

Pleased to say that with AN Dukie's input that I am able to announce that a case has been put through that this solider is buried at Hibernian Military School Church of Ireland Graveyard.

OK I was barking up the wrong tree with Grangegorman.

Edited by chrisharley9
Spelling

All credit to Chrisharley9, and AN Dukie.

Edited by museumtom