The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

9th Battalion Cheshire Regiment Ma to June 1918

Guest Graham Gibbs

Guest Graham Gibbs

Ihave just found Walter Edward Gibbs 51878 Died of Wounds .Buried in Sezanne Communal Cemetry, Marne.

He died 1 st June 1918 of wounds aged 19. Born in Bristol a railway worker for GWR.

I would be greatful for any information about about the Battalion and the action involving his fatal wounds.

Thanks

Graham Gibbs

Hi Graham,

The battalion war diary is available to download from the National Archives: click here; I doubt it will record the the death by name but it will cover the period and may include helpful details. The 9th Cheshires were in 56 (Infantry) Brigade, 19 Division. Also, try the Long, Long Trail (left-hand tab at the top of this page).

Cheers, Pat

They were attacking close to Sarcy on 31st May so it seems likely that he was one of many wounded in that action, succumbing to his owunds on 1st June at the CCS close to Sezanne

GG

There is an entry for this soldier in Forces War Records for 1918. It may be recording his death and/or it may be his admission to treatment for his wounds and their extent.

• 8 months later...

Many thanks for your help .

As I live near The Cheshire Regiment Museum in Chester I am hoping for further information.

I have a photograph of his headstone now and have used Google Earth to picture his family home in Bristol which still exists.

Our family come from Chinnor, Bledlow and surrounding villages in the Chilterns.

We are also come from the family of Count Eustace who was William standard bearer at the Battle of Hastings.

Thanks again

IIRC, the Regimental Museum has a typed copy of the war diary (if you havent downloaded it as mentioned upthread) but is unlikely to have any further information about the man. FWIW, here's the link to the relevent page on my website describing the action aorund this time.

http://www.stockport1914-1918.co.uk/battle_report.php?name=battleoftheaisne

Edited by John_Hartley