Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dr. James A. Chisholm, Reverend at Mwenzo Mission, Northern Rhodesia 1914

Holger Kotthaus

Dr. James A. Chisholm, Reverend at Mwenzo Mission, Northern Rhodesia 1914

The following photos were taken summer 2016 in the Mwenzo mission archive near Nakonde / Zambia.

Did Dr. James A. Chisholm possessed a military rank? Shown on the second photo on his right forearm.

00_James Chisholm.jpg

01_James Chisholm.JPG

02_James Chisholm.JPG

Holger

J. A. Chisholm is shown as a Captain in the Northern Rhodesia Medical Corps on the 1914/1915 Star Medal Roll, the roll shows an entry date into (an unspecified) theatre of operations of 1st October 1914.

On the same page of the Medal Roll is an entry for Nursing Sister Mrs. Kate M. Chisholm, same entry date into theatre, his wife perhaps?

The inverted chevrons on his lower right arm are not indication of rank but are overseas service chevrons denoting each years service.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the missing information. Attached further photos of Chisholm, his wife and others.

03_James Chisholm.JPG

04_James Chisholm.JPG

05_James Chisholm.JPG

06_James Chisholm.JPG

07_James Chisholm.JPG

I try to summarize this and other issues along the BNR / GEA border through 1914-1918 here:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=219609&sid=b1923163397b7c51d00715bb0ff41156&start=30

Regards Holger

• 7 months later...

I can confirm that Catherine MacGilvray (known as Kate) was Dr. James Alexander Chisholm’s wife. She was my great aunt. Her parents were John MacGilvray and Catherine Cowan. She trained as a nurse and a teacher and accompanied her husband to Northern Rhodesia where they were missionaries. At least two of their three children were born in Africa. Thank you for these wonderful photos.

Did Dr. James Chisholm die of an illness? Has anyone any information?

I have found him in the passenger lists for 1932;

1932 Name:    Mr Jas Alexander Chisholm
Birth Date:    abt 1873
Country of last permanent residence, North Rhodesia.
Port of Departure:    Durban, South Africa
Arrival Date:    21 Nov 1932
Port of Arrival:    Southampton, England
Ship Name:    Arundel Castle. Arrived from Natal, Rhodesia,East Africa.
Shipping line:    Union-Castle Mail Steamship Company Ltd
Proposed Address in the UK; Abbotsford,  31, Warrior Square, St Leonards Sussex. 
His wife, Catherine (Kate) continued to live here after his death in 1936.

He returned to Mwenzo in 1933.

Death 1936 • Mwenzo, East Africa
Death Date:11 Jul 1936 

Death Place: Northern Rhodesia, Africa 
Probate Date: 7 Sep 1936 
Registry: London, England 
Chisholm, Reverend James Alexander of Mwenzo, Northern Rhodesia, died 11 July 1936. Confirmation of Catherine MacGilvray or Chisholm, widow. Sealed London 7 September.

Dear Gill,

Many thanks for your information.

Unfortunately I can’t answer your questions currently, because of missing hardcopy books.

I can’t understand the language Pemba, but the photo on the link below should picture the grave stone

of Dr. James Chisholm in Mwenzo Mission / Zambia

E. Singanga (?) Chisholm July 11, 1936

https://www.flickr.com/photos/simonyyz/363736295/in/album-72157594490887219/

Regards Holger

There are a number of newspaper reports of his death. He died on 11 July 1936, following a "short illness".

According the obit in the Aberdeen Press and Journal of 14 July 1936, he was a Major in the Northern Rhodesia Medical Corps and was mentioned in  dispatches four times.

Born in Bucksburn (Aberdeen).

RM

Many thanks for the link to Mwenzo. What a touching tribute to their work and lives.

I have found one 'mention';

1918,  March 16. The British Medical Journal, page 327; Surgeon-Captain J.A. Chisholm, Northern Rhodesia Medical Service. All mentioned men received a certificate.

Have you a copy of any of his obituaries?

According to his nephew, who is a retired GP, Dr. James Alexander Chisholm died of Black Water Fever the result of repeated attacks of malaria causing kidney failure.

Black Water Fever is a complication of Malaria infection.