Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.A.M.C. no. 10 Stationery Hospital et al

Guest georgie

My grandfather William Paterson Barsby born Bethnal Green 1888 first joined up in October 1904.

He said he was 18, but of course he was only really 16 and already in the 15th Middlesex V.R.C.

He signed up for 6 years with the Essex but I understand that was only part time?

After 2 days he was transferred to The Scottish Rifles (Cameronians) and saw service in South Africa, which is where he was on the 1911 census. Apparently he was later transferred to R.A.M.C. before his end of service.

In August 1918 he signed up again for the duration in R.A.M.C. and saw service to the end. He remained in the Army, going to Singapore about 1920 with a wife and baby (my father) 2 other sons were born in Singapore. With such dedication it is a shame I know so little, so hope against hope one of you enthusiasts can give me some insights as to what his Army life would have been like. Thank you.

Not a lot to find,on Ancestry UK at least. First landed in France as a Private 5632 RAMC on 15 Aug 1914, so really close to the start of the deployment of the BEF. This earned him a 1914 Star, later he became a Corporal, same number and unit, and earned the British War and Victory Medals.

It seems likely to me that he may have served past 1921 and thus his service papers could be with the Army Personnel Centre. If they do have them you will be able to apply for copies by completing a form. Here the website :

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html