The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Any ideas - Buffs/RWK's

keithfazzani

I received this for Christmas was told it was 4th Buffs. I am not sure and cannot see any cap badges clearly enough to come to a conclusion. Any ideas?

Scan.jpeg

Might it be a mix of the two ?

Take the soldier kneeling right, in front of the lady.A wider shape of badge more in keeping with the Buffs and not as tall and narrow as the RWKRs in the centre sat and reclining. In fact the soldier two to the left (as we look) of he kneeling at right has a clearly different shape.

Yes, that had crossed my mind. But why and where? I imagine from the presence of civilians and in particular the woman that it is in the UK.

Might be some kind of County Show-type gathering where the men may have been used as a recruiting tool ? I wouldn't call that marquee an Army issue !

Edited by sotonmate

I think the photo shows a mixed force of Buffs and Royal West Kent chaps. The chap kneeling in the second row, on our left, appears to be in the Buffs wearing a Territorial Force "Imperial Service" badge on his chest. I cannot remember when the Imperial Service badge was adopted but it could help date the photo just prior to WW1/1914. It would support the fact that some 1/4th Battalion, The Buffs appear in the group.

Sepoy

Thanks all. Somewhere deep in my brain cells is the memory of reading about a camp held at Dover, I shall have to see if I can find the reference again. I know I should write everything down!

Are there two men of the cloth seated? Church Parade?

At first sight the dog collars and lady and other gentlemen suggested an OTC contingent. I also note that one of the chaps 'lounging' in front is wearing a belt and has a stick and the chap to the left (as seen) is the only one in uniform without brass buttons. I remain intrigued.