Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coming to your pocket soon?

NigelS

Continuing its series of commemorative coins for the Great War centenary the Royal Mint has announced  the 'First World War Aviation £2 coin':

The First World War Aviation £2 coin remembers The Royal Flying Corps and its contribution to the defence of Britain’s skies in the First World War using new aircraft technology.

Further details: The Royal Mint – Annual sets 2017, Precious Metal and Base Metal, 01 Jan 2017 and The coins of 2017 which includes images of this year's coins.

NigelS

Edited by NigelS

The RAF is a more surprising omission.. 

3 minutes ago, Phil Wood said:

More surprising? A totally appropriate omission. Seven months (RAF) war-fighting compared with three years and eight months (RNAS and RFC).

I'd rather do what we used to do - Her Majesty on one side and a symbol (Britannia, portcullis, lion ...) on the other side. Leave commemorative coins to the London Mint. Presumably changing the symbol every few months can only add to production costs, so why bother?

3 hours ago, horatio2 said:

More surprising? A totally appropriate omission. Seven months (RAF) war-fighting compared with three years and eight months (RNAS and RFC).

More surprising because even folk at the Royal Mint have probably heard of the RAF.

"Defence of British Skies"  seems to focus on a tiny minority and rather ignores the vast majority of aviators who fought beyond the boundaries of Great Britain. Yet more ill-informed nonsense from the Govt attempting to associate/compare the RFC with "The Few" of 1940. 

Edited by Guest

On 03/01/2017 at 05:37, Phil Wood said:

To be fair the blurb does mention the RAF and the coin itself only has the words 'The war in the air' on it with no mention of the 'Defence of British skies', the crassness if which was noted.

The image itself on the coin is quite striking and I think the best of those produced to date. I presume the fifth and final coin next year will focus on the Armistice 

David

13 hours ago, David Ridgus said:

The image itself on the coin is quite striking and I think the best of those produced to date.

The £20 commemorative silver coin is very good and I like the Kitchener and the Jutland £2 coins but I do agree this one is probably the best £2 coin design so far.