Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mine craters!

chrislock

Any Pals know of any mine craters in the above areas? The Germans exploded a mine under the 7th SLI in 15. I have visited the graves of those killed in the explosion. It would be nice to follow up with a visit to the crater or site of this mine explosion. Brendon, help? :rolleyes:

Laventie was behind our lines until 1918, but La Cordonerie Farm was up in the front line and from memory there are some craters marked on the trench maps. But I am pretty sure none of the craters are left in this area.

Scene of the most bitter and critical fighting in late October 1914 when 2RWF were almost overwhelmed, lost heavily, and gave not an inch of ground. See eg 'The War the Infantry Knew', and 'Old Soldiers Never Die'. After the war their dead of that battle were moved to the beautiful Pont du Hem CWGC and lie in neat rows. RIP.

I've spent a bit of time exploring this area and haven't come across any craters. The locations of the ones in the old Fromelles no-man's land can be roughly determined but they're long gone. There's a few interesting bunkers around La Cordonerie Farm but that's about it.

As an aside, the huge crater in the British lines caused by a heavy German trench mortar (and made famous in several photos) is no longer there, but the bunker from which the round was probably fired is still intact and can be visited. Very interesting.

Cheers,

Mat

Chris,

I could not find any signs of the mine when I went over that area. There were a number of mines detonated along that stretch of front. I think that the one under the Somersets was most likely in the field to the right of La Cordonnerie Farm as you face the German line - about 150 yards on the right.

When walking the area, it is worth noting that the farm was rebuilt in a slightly different place after the war. (I was told closer to the road).

Brendon.

Brendon, Mat! My reply is under "Units and Formations" We now seem to have the same subject running in 2 x groupings! Ah well, life is never easy!

Chris,

During the attack on Auber’s Ridge, 9 May 1915 the British placed two mines, 70 yards apart, under the first German trench line.

They were dug by the 173rd Tunnelling Company who placed 2,000lb of explosive in each mine. Further details of these are in A Bristow, A serious disappointment. London: Leo Cooper 1995.

The mines were dug to support the attack of my grandfathers unit the 13th London Regiment (Kensingtons).

I have tried to find the mine craters but think that all evidence they have probably gone.

Other mines were dug and exploded in the area to support the Australian attack on Aubers Ridge in 1916.

Photographs of the mines are shown in P Pedersen, Fromelles. Battleground Europe series [series editor: Nigel Cave], Barnsley: Pen and Sword 2004.

Hope this is useful.

Regards

Tom