Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Nith 1910 -1915/16

Guest IanG65

My Great Grandfather Private George Isaac Smith (24168) 8th Battalion Norfolk Regiment was killed at the Somme 19 July 1917 and is buried in Bray Military Cemetery.

I have been able to confirm from a family member that this is indeed him as the number on his medals match those found on CWGC website.I am currently trying to get a service record for him if it still exists.

However it has been said from memories of older family members that he served a while in the Navy.One story is that he joined the Navy and when he became surplus to their requirements at the time joined or transferred to the Army.

Another story has it that being so bored with the navy as he was seeing no action he jumped ship and enlisted into the Army in order to get into the fight.This could be a very good probability as from what little I know of him he was supposed to be a bit of a character.

I know that before the War he was a Deap Sea Trawlerman in Great Yarmouth. I do know also that he enlisted into the Army at Hull.(SDGW)

A family member has a picture of him in Uniform.The hat band reads HMS Nith.The same Family member has a picture of him whilst in service with the 8th Battalion Norfolk Regt and it is quite clear that they are both one and the same person as he had very distinctive features.

There is writing on the back of the pictures too stating that it is George Isaac Smith and the writing is in the hand of my great grandmother.

My questions were thus.

Was it normal for Navy personnel to be transferred to the Army?

How can I confirm that he indeed was in the Navy?

Ive heard of the Navy list but does this contain info on ratings?

Has anyone here on the forum got any books CDs or archived material they could do a lookup in for me? If you do it would be most appreciated as it would give me some kind of starting point.

I am completely new at researching Soldiers and Sailors so any hints tips suggestions or advice would be more than welcomed.

Thanks Ian.

HMS Nith, E (River) class Destroyer, launched 7th March 1905, 540 to 560 tons, Eden Turbine giving 25.5 knots, armed 4 x 12 pounders, 2 x 18 inch Torpedo Tubes. Pendant Nos - 1914 N71, 1915 D27, Jan 1918 D60, Sept 1918 H78.

Based with all 17 E class destroyers at Harwich 1914 - 1919.

Sold for scrap 23rd June 1919 to Ward, Preston.

The E class had two twin funnels and highly flared bows.

Also see http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militar...vy/rnstep10.htm

Aye

Malcolm