The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Reuben Francis Lane - Middlesex Regt and Royal Flying Corps.

SgtPrice

Dear Forum Pals,

I have been asked to do some family history research on behalf of a family friend. The soldier in question is Reuben Francis Lane, joined the army as a volunteer, with the Middlesex regiment, regimental number: G4564 or G/04564 and arrived in France on 1st Sept 1915. He then transferred to the Royal Flying Corps, service number 108021.

I know he survived the war, and was transferred to "G" reserve on 1st April 1919.  I was hoping to find out more about his service with the RFC. Can you tell from his service number which squadron he might have served with?  

Any ideas would be appreciated.

regards,

PrivatePrive

Edited by SgtPrice

RFC became RAF on 1.4.1918 and this man has a records card (AIR78 series) at Kew here:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11828713

but you aren't likely to get his earlier details from Middx and RFC as his army service papers aren't apparent and maybe destroyed.

Edited by sotonmate

Sotonmate,

Thanks for the swift reply. It is appreciated. I have tried the link but it does not seem to work for me. Does it link to Reuben's MIC?  I have seen that and 2 medal rolls for him but unfortunately there is no info on which unit he served with.

regards,

PP.

No,it is a link to his record card. It didn't work for me on initial check, so I re-typed it and it worked the second time.

If you search the National Archives Discovery database and enter AIR79/970/108021 it will reveal his entry, click on his name and it will show you a link to Find My Past where you can get a digitised copy.

Edited by sotonmate

Sotonmate,

The link is now working for me so I will dig down and get the info from the record card. Many thanks again for all of your help. I know his grand daughter will be very interested in what I will be able to find for her with your help.

regards,

PP.