Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Herbert Ward

Phil Wood

Christmas Eve has been a good day for research - I have managed to positively identify two formerly unknown names from the Newbury memorial. Neither were particularly difficult probems to solve, as ever I marvel at my past incompetence.

One of these was W H WARD who turns out to be William Herbert Ward (1887-1919) who served with the 2nd Bn, R Berks (15803) until disabled by a gsw in the head, losing one eye and suffering from some paralysis in one arm (brain damage?). Declared 80% disabled and pensioned off he left the army on 4 Apr 1917.

He died in 1919 (buried 7 Oct).

Without his death certificate it is not possible to be sure, but he could be another Newbury lad overlooked by the CWGC.

7 hours ago, Phil Wood said:

Christmas Eve has been a good day for research - I have managed to positively identify two formerly unknown names from the Newbury memorial. Neither were particularly difficult probems to solve, as ever I marvel at my past incompetence.

One of these was W H WARD who turns out to be William Herbert Ward (1887-1919) who served with the 2nd Bn, R Berks (15803) until disabled by a gsw in the head, losing one eye and suffering from some paralysis in one arm (brain damage?). Declared 80% disabled and pensioned off he left the army on 4 Apr 1917.

He died in 1919 (buried 7 Oct).

Without his death certificate it is not possible to be sure, but he could be another Newbury lad overlooked by the CWGC.

Nothing in the effects records - this however is likely because they'd managed to pay out his War Gratuity before he'd died.

Craig

I assume you have all of this info already?

A pension record on ancestry.

A mention in the Daily Casualty Lists

Forename; W H

Surname; Ward

Casualty Status; Wounded

Rank; Private

Service Number; 15803

Regiment; Royal Berkshire Regiment

Category; NCO's and Men

Daily List Date; 24th November 1916

A Silver War Badge

First name(s); William Herbert

Last name; Ward

Service number; 15803

Rank; Private

Badge number; 38662

Enlistment date; 07-Dec-1914

Discharge date; 04-Apr-1917

Regiment/unit; Royal Berkshire Rgt

Cause of discharge; Wounds Para 392 (xvi)

Whether served overseas; Yes

Badge date of issue; 04-Apr-1917

Record set; Silver War Badge Roll 1914-1920

Edited by wandererpaul

The FmP reference shows that he was a "discharged soldier", so , without a lot of real research and proof that his death was due directly to the war, then CWGC are unlikely to accept him.

His cause of Discharge was med. unfit GSW to head

His pension was awarded because of disability due to GSW to head.

However, on a sheet headed Renewal or Revision of Award it lists him as suffering from tuberculosis which was "Non-attrib". and GSW Head which was "Due To".

(See service records on FMP).

Therefore if his DC states death due to the GSW Head it would be a very good idea to approach the CWGC, personally or through the IFCP.

If his DC states death due to tuberculosis (with no mention of the GSW) he would appear to be ineligible for CWGC commemoration

CGM.

Thanks fror the uinput - I didn't have the daily casualty list.

As he died in Abingdon, I suspect he died of TB (the local sanitorium was there). 

What I don't understand is why TB is listed first as the reason why his pension was granted - yet it was 'non-atrrib'. If it was not attributable to his war service why was it a reason for him to get a penion?

He could have died at his home address. This is going to a be 50/50. Did the TB or his head wounds kill him?

Chris