Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

J.M.FLATAN, PHOTOGRAPHER, ILFORD

Hopefully this thread will run for a while and consolidate some information buried away  amongst Forum colleagues.Another thread, started by Lascar,  has thrown up a picture of a black soldier, with the photographer's name (above) on the plate. A  ramble through Elliott Taylor and Barney Alston "Up the Hammers". The West Ham Battalion in the Great War. (not recommended for those of a nervous  disposition- ie Arsenal and Spurs fans) shows a number of army group photographs by the same photographer, all plate numbered. All taken in what look like muddy army camps here

Flatan does not show up thus far in Ilford records that I have seen (I live there,alas). The link with the pictures seems to be that they are all of units and men from the east of London. May I ask Forum members to have a look through their picture collections and let me know through this Forum- As the pictures are numbered, then getting as many together,with any details, may assist in identifying the anonymous ones for unit,location and date.

Edited by Guest
SPELLING MISTAKE

post-31499-1203977531.gif

Researched as probably 16/KRRC at Clipstone Camp, Notts. in summer 1915.  16/KRRC were brigaded with 13/Essex (the "West Ham Pals") with whom Flatan is believed to have travelled up to Clipstone.

I think I may have some other KRRC RP's by him, and will check the vaults when I get back home after Xmas!

Edited by MBrockway

You should probably link up with Pal At Home Dad ...

I think he's the author of the West Ham Pals blog and is likely to be further down the track on Flatan.

http://westhampals.blogspot.co.uk/

Edited by MBrockway

Flatan pic of 13/Essex at Wanstead Flats from 1915 here, which you'll enjoy.

Thanks Mark-  Zap Google for Flatan-  This may come up:Rifle Brigade group at The Cottage- Plate number 373- getting close to your plate number.  Lets see what turns up.

(If Elliott Taylor ever reds-please send message-I have some info. re. 3 men of 13th Essex over and above your book)

Thanks Mark-  Zap Google for Flatan-  This may come up:Rifle Brigade group at The Cottage- Plate number 373- getting close to your plate number.  Lets see what turns up.

(If Elliott Taylor ever reds-please send message-I have some info. re. 3 men of 13th Essex over and above your book)

Hints of curved 3-decker TF shoulder titles on several of the men in this photo, so I rather suspect these may be London Regt, not RB.

We often see dealers pencil "Rifle Brigade" and "KRRC" (for those with maltese cross badges) on their stock, as in this Lot, on the strength of the cap badge alone.  Ho hum!

s-l1600 - Copy - Copy.jpgs-l1600 - Copy 2.jpg

And zapped by the Daleks as well!!    I think you may have to post up a short guide here as to how to distinguish KRRC from London Regiment.

(Time to turn in-I start my Christmas shopping usually after the first line of Once in Royal David's City from Kings College,Cambridge- so must be up bright and early this afternoon)

And zapped by the Daleks as well!!    I think you may have to post up a short guide here as to how to distinguish KRRC from London Regiment.

(Time to turn in-I start my Christmas shopping usually after the first line of Once in Royal David's City from Kings College,Cambridge- so must be up bright and early this afternoon)

I find inverting the image often makes fine linear detail easier to see.

Already have posted something on those lines, but years ago!

And I'm also turning in now.:closedeyes: