deano

Hello guys,

Arthur Ernest Sterland    #37664 9th KOYLI

CWGC headstone says 16/9/16

CWGC details on their site says 29/9/16

SDGW says 16/9/16

Soldier effects says 26/9/16

Medal Rolls says 26/9/16

Death Notice posted by his wife in local paper says 'reported missing, now reported KIA on 26/9/16

Cant see any papers on Anc

MIC only states KIA

Don't know what Oversea Deaths GRO Index says.

Any help or thoughts much appreciated.

Dean.

Hello

According to some of this family members via Ancestry.co.uk it says KIA 16\9\1916

John

Soldiers Effects is the most likely to be correct- the army pay clerks used the original soldier's service files, the ones destroyed by fire. MIC is from same source.

Try the War Diary- can often elucidate the matter- ie whether the unit was in the front line and in action or in billets. CWGC can often be wrong.

"From Pontefract to Picardy" has his death 16 Sep 1916 and burial at Ville-sur-Ancre .

9 KOYLI were in the failed attack on Gueudecourt. OR casualties - 43 killed , 180 wounded 153 missing. Total fatal casualties were finalised at 121 . Only 15 have known burial places.

CWGC registration report states 16 Sep

Edited by Ellis1918

Thanks guys, not really sure which date still, but thanks for the input.

Merry Christmas everyone !!

Dean.

Dean

The date may have been fixed after a Roll Call in the period after the action, who knew what, who saw what, what info filtered back in respect of wounded and missing etc. I have seen War Diaries which declare death dates based on the fact that missing men, in the absence of certainty,were declared dead on Roll Call day. I have to admit though,a Roll Call must surely have been made here before the 26th ! Who will ever know ?

Just now, sotonmate said:

Dean

The date may have been fixed after a Roll Call in the period after the action, who knew what, who saw what, what info filtered back in respect of wounded and missing etc. I have seen War Diaries which declare death dates based on the fact that missing men, in the absence of certainty,were declared dead on Roll Call day. I have to admit though,a Roll Call must surely have been made here before the 26th ! Who will ever know ?

Your right, the key point has to be that there is sometimes a difference between 'actual' dates and 'administrative' dates. That being said the SDGW death is often a week or so earlier than the CWGC/Effects records so I'd be interested in where they got the date as I thought they all came via the original field / hospital reports.

Craig