The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Information on RFC flyer!

Guest Pajeroboi

Hi all

I wonder if anyone could help me with some information? This is a picture of my Great Uncle, on the right.  All I know is that he was shot down and killed. No idea of where, when or what plane he was flying in (the photo shows an Se5a I'm guessing, although the family story was that he was an NCO and not an officer and that he was in a two seater, not the pilot). I can't see any badges on the uniform to give any clue either?? The other chap with his hand on the propeller has corporal stripes.  I've tried the national archive but don't seem to have any luck?? 

Any help would be hugely appreciated!!

jim

IMG_3052.JPG

51 minutes ago, Pajeroboi said:

Hi Terry

its Hugh Cox. I believe he was born in the Republic of Ireland.....county Claire??

Hi

There is a Hugh Cox in 'Airmen Died in the Great War 1914-1918' DVD-ROM, this is Hugh Bertram Hamilton Cox, who was a Lieutenant RFC, previously RFA.  He was killed whilst flying, ie. accident on 29.01.17 while with 8 Reserve Squadron flying Maurice Farman MF 11 Shorthorn A953.  It states he was buried at Kirk Braddan, Isle of Man.  Do any of the details match your relative?

Mike

1 hour ago, alf mcm said:

According to a family tree on Ancestry, Hugh Bertram Hamilton Cox was born in India.

Regards,

Alf McM

If the Hugh Cox in Question is Hugh Bertram Hamilton Cox

Born Jan 1894 baptised Aug in India

b and b.JPG

Regards Ray

HBH Cox died 29 Jan 17 when His Maurice Farman Shorthorn "lost control and nosedived". He was previously 2Lt,Royal Field Artillery then qualified as Observer in 1916 and was with 9 Squadron on Western Front.  The place of death has already been mentioned above. Perhaps he was converting from Observer to Pilot at the time of his death?

Charlie

So:  Not an NCO but previously in the OTC?

Not Shot down and killed although did have a forced landing near Albert whilst an observer on 1 Jun 1916, but unhurt. Its easy for 2 accidents to get merged into   one in family history!

Not born in Ireland?

is this the right Hugh Cox?   

Charlie   

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

HBH Cox died 29 Jan 17 when His Maurice Farman Shorthorn "lost control and nosedived". He was previously 2Lt,Royal Field Artillery then qualified as Observer in 1916 and was with 9 Squadron on Western Front.  The place of death has already been mentioned above. Perhaps he was converting from Observer to Pilot at the time of his death?

Charlie

Hi

'Airmen Died' has him as pilot so probably was converting as many did.

Mike

3 hours ago, quemerford said:

"I believe he was born in the Republic of Ireland.....county Claire??"

My thoughts too.

Hugh Bertram Hamilton Cox can be found on the 1911 census aged 17 a boarder at school in Bedford 
Street address:    27 De Parys Avenue, Bedford
His place of birth is given as Dabangaz, India (British Parentage)

Edited by RaySearching