Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/7th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

JamesCasey

Hello,

I have been trying to work out the route of the 7th A&S Highlanders throughout the course of the war. I have checked the LLT and 16th December 1914 says left division (Highland, which I am assuming is 51st div.) and landed in France and then in January 1915 they came under orders of 10th brigade, 4th division. What would they have done during this month in France as ancestry has no war diary for 7th battalion before 1915, however it does have one for 152nd brigade but only mentions 6th and 8th A&S Highlanders.

If somebody could clear up what happened in this month and leave a brief description of what 7th battalion did through the course of the war I would be grateful. 

James

You'll obviously need the War Diaries for precise details, but by December the War which all had thought to be over "by Christmas" evudently wasn't going to be.

From August, regular Army British troops, plus many from India, had been thrown against vastly superior German forces, who also had the advantage of capturing most of the high ground. The BEF regulars were in the process of being ground down as "contemptibles" and the French had been decimated in vainglorious headlong attacks.

It was precisely because of huge French casualties that the British and Empire/Dominion troops were being tasked with attacks to relieve the pressure on the French.

That's why TF units who had only signed up for Home Defence, took the pledge voluntarily to serve Overseas, thus relieving some of the pressure on the dwindling original regulars of the BEF.

However, you can't just march men into the line, they need to have some grounding on what was required, trenching, avoiding snipers, German tactics and so on, plus being equipped with all the necessary equipment and arms to fight trench warfare. That's what I'd expect they were doing for a month, becoming acclimatised and informed about British and enemy tactics.

The pressure was on to not only assist the tiny portion of Belgium left in Allied control (principally Ypres) but also on the French who had wasted entire Brigades in assaults to retake Alsace and Lorraine, as well as along the line held across France by the Germans. Unfortunately, that pretty much dictated the entire War. The Allies holding ground that they could not sacrifice for fear of upsetting either the Belgians or the French and attacking strongly held positions overlooking theirs, backwards and forwards for 4 more years.

I am chasing a man in the 7th too and someone may be getting the War Diary copied for me. If so perhaps we can combine forces.

seaJane

Thanks for all of the information Kevin, and sotonmate for the WD link.

Who are you searching for Jane as I have just looked through a few months at the start of 1915.

James

Hi James 

Archibald Richmond is his name, although he may come with one, two or three of Hamilton Douglas Ord as middle name/s ... I am not sure whether he had made it from Lance Corporal to 2nd Lieutenant at that point.

Thank you!

sJ

sJ, here is some information I noted down earlier, it stops on 15th of May because my relative was sent to hospital on that day.

On the 6th of January 1915, the battalion came under orders of 10th Brigade, 4th Division. Each double company in trenches for 24 hours 10th-31st January 1915. At Armentieres 31st January 1915

1st-3rd February 1915, two companies in trenches for 48 hours.

4th-28th February 1915, two companies in trenches for 4 days.

At Armentieres 28th February 1915.

1st-14th March 1915, two companies always on duty in trenches, of these, one in the right of the ‘Douve’ sector, the others in reserve. Two companies in billets at Armentieres. Companies in trenches relieved every 4 days. (map 28 – Ypres)

14th-17th March 1915, all companies at Armentieres. (map 36, Lille)

17th-22nd March 1915, battalion took over again in the same line. Two companies moved to ‘Piggeries’ and ‘Grande’. (map 28)

22nd-30th March 1915, two companies occupied the trenches forming the right sector of the line, relieved and sent to billets every 4 days.

1-17th April 1915, two companies in trenches two in billets. Relieved on 17th April.

9th April, 7th A&S Highlanders reinforced the left

16th April 1915, told to attack when Canadian division did, attack never took place

25th April, Attacked St. Julien

27th-28th April, continuous shelling

30th April, 12th infantry brigade relieved 7th A&S Highlanders, who were drawn back in support

2nd May 1915, whole line gassed, as units were being seen coming back to support trench, 7th A&S Highlanders were sent up, along with a regiment of 3rd cavalry brigade, through the gas, these two units arrived at the same time and at once occupied the trenches which had been vacated, catching the enemy in the open and inflicting heavy loss. (OC brigade praises battalion for this: "The way of which these units went through the gas was worthy of great praise and they certainly saved the situation")

3rd May, attacks made on front but easily driven off, wind was in wrong direction for Germans to deploy gas.

Night 3/4th May, brigade drawn into reserve

12th May, sent to billets

On Saturday the 15th of May 1915, 10th Brigade (including the 1/7th A&S Highlanders) relieved the Kings Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) in the front-line trenches. (Ypres)

On the 24th May the trench was gassed (and shelled) again resulting in high casualties, and the battalion was relieved that night.

The man you are searching for doesn't seem to have been harmed in any of these attacks

Edited by JamesCasey

• 3 weeks later...

Hi James and seaJane

I 've sent you both a PM about the 7 A&SH War Diary.  I have the remainder of the diary as well.   The book "To the Undying Memory of the Officers, Non-commissioned Officers, and Men who Fell during the Great War 7th Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders" by A D Morrison, published by Cunningham, Alva, Scotland (around 1925/1926), has a list of officers who served in the 7th.  It does not include Archibold Richmond who does have a file (WO 374/57407) at the National Archives.  The book is a summary of the War Diary with photographs.

Jim

James, Jim, thank you both very much

:)

sJ

Too much of a skinflint to subscribe, me :blush:

16 hours ago, seaJane said:

Too much of a skinflint to subscribe, me :blush:

When I get  a minute I will look for Archibald Richmond. It's time I did a bit more Richmond research.

Roger M

You're a star!

Hi SJ,

A couple of little bits:

The London Gazette shows that he was commissioned with effect from 25th January 1917.

His Medal Index Card gives a February 1923 address of 19 Hatton Place, Edinburgh.

He was entitled to the Territorial Force War Medal, which means that he must have volunteered to serve overseas before the end of September 1914 (usually by signing the Imperial Service Obligation). However, he didn't arrive in theatre until after 1915 as he would have received a Star Medal as an alternative.

Regards

Chris