Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Identifying Adrian(?) Helmet

Chickenpuffball

I found this helmet on Ebay and it looked interesting so I bought it. It looks like a M15 Adrian helmet BUT it has no place to for the badge (completely smooth in the front), it has a torn up new looking liner which looks like a 1st pattern French liner and it's painted black (I've only seen that in French helmets). What kind of helmet is it?

Images from the Ebay listing:

ItLPdog.jpg

yoikx2U.jpg

QDFAtJ6.jpg

TVHBQnC.jpg

P.S I bought this for $25, is it worth that price relative to other helmets?

Italian?

They used French made helmets that had no badge holes as they often painted insignia on.

Is there the usual 'long' ventilation slot in the internal centre? Looking at the comb (and the described colouring), I'd say not?

If I'm right, then it's actually a 'casque pour collectivités' (or 'community helmet') - a commercially produced pattern that was introduced in the 1920's for public and municipal services along with civilian organisations in need of head protection (such as certain factories, the red cross, etc). Some found their way to Civil defence organisations too (painted black, sometimes with insignia, sometimes not, but never with slots for a badge). Sizings on these are numerical rather than alphabetical and can (sometimes) be found stamped into the metal of the interior.

They are often erroneously described as Italian (purely because of the lack of badge slots), but these were a completely different entity.

Dave

Edited by CROONAERT

17 hours ago, Chickenpuffball said:

P.S I bought this for $25, is it worth that price relative to other helmets?

Yes, I'd say that $25 is a decent enough (actually, it's probably rather a good price) price if it actually is a 'casque pour collectivités' .  Though they're not as collectable as a military/combat helmet , they're actually rarer (though being less collectable drives the price down as they're less desirable) and any collector of generic 'Adrians' should really have at least one in his/her collection. (Though, if the collector only collects military helmets, he/she probably wouldn't!)

Dave

8 hours ago, CROONAERT said:

Yes, I'd say that $25 is a decent enough (actually, it's probably rather a good price) price if it actually is a 'casque pour collectivités' .  Though they're not as collectable as a military/combat helmet , they're actually rarer (though being less collectable drives the price down as they're less desirable) and any collector of generic 'Adrians' should really have at least one in his/her collection. (Though, if the collector only collects military helmets, he/she probably wouldn't!)

Dave

Thanks! I'm collecting mostly military helmets but I'll hold onto it for a while. 

12 hours ago, CROONAERT said:

Is there the usual 'long' ventilation slot in the internal centre? Looking at the comb (and the described colouring), I'd say not?

If I'm right, then it's actually a 'casque pour collectivités' (or 'community helmet') - a commercially produced pattern that was introduced in the 1920's for public and municipal services along with civilian organisations in need of head protection (such as certain factories, the red cross, etc). Some found their way to Civil defence organisations too (painted black, sometimes with insignia, sometimes not, but never with slots for a badge). Sizings on these are numerical rather than alphabetical and can (sometimes) be found stamped into the metal of the interior.

They are often erroneously described as Italian (purely because of the lack of badge slots), but these were a completely different entity.

Dave

Here's a picture of the vent (sorry it's bad, I didn't want to take apart the liner):

r1MG5xN.jpg

I think this might be a stamping:

1vNCrwQ.jpg

Thank you, I wouldn't mind what it is either way. History behind everything. :D