Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Matthew King

Hi Pals

Just wanted to say that this week me and my father and brother went on a booze cruise to France and seeing that we were there for a whole day I pursuaded them that we should go and look for my Grandfather's friends graves. I have been interested in my Grandfather's experiences during the war for over a year now but never visited France during this time.

I was quite surprised by the emotional feelings I felt when we arrived at the Thiepval Memorial. My Grandfathers friend is listed on the Memorial so suddenly you have a link to it, but the size and number of names on it was shocking. I was also surprised how it effected my brother and father both standing there with tears in there eyes and my brother has promised to take his children back there next year to show them what that generation went through.

While I was there I noticed that there is a society trying to form a database on the people on the memorial, they had a large poster of hundreds of photos of soldiers on the memorial. I was wondering if any one had a link to this project as I would like to send them details and a photograph of my Grandfather's friend Ernie.

After visiting Thiepvalwe went to the Rancourt Cemetry to visit the grave of Richard Walker another friend of Grandad's. I was really pleased to see the excellent condition the cemetries are in and the care that is taken over them, and I like to say thank you to the people who care for them.

I totally recommend a visit across to France to see the memorials and cemetries, it really bring home the sacrifice that was made.

Matt