Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Captain Hugh Steuart Gladstone KOSB

hackneygurkha

Dear Forum,

I am trying to locate any records on a Hugh Steuart Gladstone of Capenoch. He apparently served with the KOSB as a Lieutenant in the Boer War and again in WW1 as a Captain in the KOSB but I have been unable to locate any real details on him via the net. Any help would be greatly appreciated as always.

41 minutes ago, hackneygurkha said:

Dear Forum,

I am trying to locate any records on a Hugh Steuart Gladstone of Capenoch. He apparently served with the KOSB as a Lieutenant in the Boer War and again in WW1 as a Captain in the KOSB but I have been unable to locate any real details on him via the net. Any help would be greatly appreciated as always.

He is recorded in the medal rolls as a Lieutenant in 3rd KOSB during the Boer War with clasps for 1901 and 1902. Copies can be viewed via Ancestry.

Born 1877, died 1949?  If so, there's some other stuff recorded on FMP about him as well as on Ancestry and even on wikipedia.

There's quite a lot on the internet.  Here's one such :-

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1474-919X.1949.tb02300.x/pdf

No service file on the NA database, which could suggest that he served beyond 1922 and his file not yet in the public domain.

No Medal Index Card either, and as the above Obituary gives him as serving in Intelligence in London that may have been the limits of his war service.

South Africa (2nd Anglo-Boer War) Medals include the Queen's South Africa Medal with clasps for Cape Colony,Orange Free State and Transvaal. The 1901 and 1902 clasps were for the King's South Africa Medal.

Edited by sotonmate

Dear sotonmate and Ron Abbott. Many thanks to you both for the above, its much appreciated. The Intelligence aspect certainly explains why there is no medal index card for WW1. I have his khaki side cap with leather football buttons which makes me think this must be the one he used during the South African War.