The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A.F.J.CHORLEY, 11th Btn, The Rifle Brigade

Dutchman55

My great uncle was Alfred Frederick Joseph CHORLEY. Rifleman S/34779, 11th Battalion, The Rifle Brigade.

He was known to enlist on 10th March 1917 & was demobilised in early 1919 from the Toutencourt area of France.

I'm aware he was injured but not known to what extent & he went on to live a full & happy life until his death in 1983.

I have searched just about everywhere I can think of for more details of his unit & what actions they were involved in between 1917 & the armistice.

Any information or suggestions as to where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. 

All 11th Bn RB War Diaries, from theor time at Larkhill through to 30th May 1919, are available on Ancestry

If is full name is Alfred Frederick Joseph Chorley born Bethnal Green in1898 (2nd June?) then a few of his service papers still exist and are available on Ancestry. Attested on 13/5/16 but not mobilised until March 1917. Living at 42 South Esk(?) St. Forest Gate. Profession Civil Sevice clerk. Father showing as George Alma Chorley. Disembarked in France and posted to 11th Battalion. Number S/34779 but started with 50083. . I cannot find any record in the papers of injury but some are hard to read. There is a ref to him being treated for Myopia in 1918. Hope this helps. Looks as though he served all his time in France with the 11th so the War Diary will be the source to find out what they were doing

Same records say that he was initially 50083 in 19th and 20th Training Reserve Battalions before he was drafted as S/34779 to 5 Battalion RB on 12.10.1917. He then landed in France on 7.11.1917 for 11 Battalion RB and served with them in 59 Infantry Brigade of 20 Division until returning home on 24.1.1919.

To Class Z Reserve from 24.2.1919 (in case war kicked off again) until around a year later when no longer in Reserve.

If you are not able to access Ancestry UK there are two segments of the War Diary also available,covering the period of his service overseas,on the National Archives database, which costs £3.45 each download:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14054087

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14054088

Edited by sotonmate

Thank you all for your responses which are most useful, especially the links to war diaries which I will now access.

The non-military elements of Alfred Frederick Joseph CHORLEY's life story are a well documented part of our family history & the only big gap was his time in the army which none of us thought to ask him about while he was still alive.

Many thanks to all respondents.

21 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

If is full name is Alfred Frederick Joseph Chorley born Bethnal Green in1898 (2nd June?) then a few of his service papers still exist and are available on Ancestry. Attested on 13/5/16 but not mobilised until March 1917. Living at 42 South Esk(?) St. Forest Gate. Profession Civil Sevice clerk. Father showing as George Alma Chorley. Disembarked in France and posted to 11th Battalion. Number S/34779 but started with 50083. . I cannot find any record in the papers of injury but some are hard to read. There is a ref to him being treated for Myopia in 1918. Hope this helps. Looks as though he served all his time in France with the 11th so the War Diary will be the source to find out what they were doing

Thanks very much for your response.

I'm following the leads you suggested, can you please tell me the source of information re:myopia? He was known to have worn spectacles all his adult life.

For interest, my great uncle was employed as a clerk in the land registry, became a labour councillor, magistrate & became the Charter mayor of Dagengam in 1938.

1938-CHORLEY Alfred Frederick Joseph & Hilda Rowenah.jpg

On 13/12/2016 at 11:10, Dutchman55 said:

what actions [11th Battalion, The Rifle Brigade] were involved in between 1917 & the armistice.

Any information or suggestions as to where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. 

The 11/RB war diary will obviously be a key source, but Inglefield's History of the Twentieth (Light) Division will give you a good understanding of 11/RB's actions in the wider context.

It's available in a recent reprint.  If you decide to purchase it, don't forget to go via the click-through from here on the Forum - that'll help keep the Forum running!

CHeers,

Mark

The source of the Myopia is in his existing service docs that are available on Ancestry. The papers contain his attestation, discharge, few posting details and the Myopia ref in Autumn 1918.

1 hour ago, Mark1959 said:

The source of the Myopia is in his existing service docs that are available on Ancestry. The papers contain his attestation, discharge, few posting details and the Myopia ref in Autumn 1918.

Found it.......thanks very much....