Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where is this street ?

Conor Dodd

Conor .

I don't have a detailed map of Ieper but 'porte du cloitre' is 'convent door'.

From the map I do have, the convent appears to be in what is now Stationsstraat.

I am sure someone can confirm/correct as appropriate.

Neil

Thanks for that Neil, there was a group of Irish Nuns in Ypres for a long time up to the war it might be theirs or another. :D

Conor

Your image is taken from the Vandepeerenboomplein. The cathedral is just to the right of the image, St. George's memorial church is opposite the buildings shown on the picture

regards,

Bert.

Bert is spot on - the archway in the photo was rebuilt after WW1 exactly the same. You will see it, no doubt, on your next visit to Ypres.

Bert and Paul,

Cheers for the info I bought the card today with a few others of Ypres just wasn't too sure where it was thanks for the information

Conor :D

Conor.

You may find these of some interest. Same place,different view.

1. Pre-War

post-4-1053324391.jpg

...immediately post-war (1919)...

post-4-1053324564.jpg

...and present day.

Dave.

post-4-1053324708.jpg

Can I say that they introduction iof the photos to the forum really does help... the images show how an enquiry can be dealt with in a way that was not possible before...

John

But its back to school for me!! I think 'porte du cloitre' usually means 'cloister door' but I jumped to conclusions as usual. :rolleyes:

I'm not really sure here. 'porte du cloitre' definitly means 'door to the monastery'. I think that the part of the cathedral which is still in ruïns, you reach it just after you walk through the 'porte du cloistre', jused to be a small monastery or part of it. Again, I am NOT sure. Jacky or Aurel will probably be able to confirm this.

Conor, as for the Irish nuns: There were quite a lot of them in pre-war Ypres. I believe the last ones were evacuated in 1915, together with the last inhabitants of the town. Only one of them came back in 1927. She left Ypres only a year later due to bad health and died in 1928 in a hospital near Erps-Kwerps ( yes, there are Flemish villages with very strange names!).

Bert.

Many thanks for all the replies the photos made it alot easier to see where it was Dave :D Bert I don't know if I told you but a book was done in the 20's about the Irish Nuns at Ypres from the start until the war there is only photos of the nuns themselves in the book none of Ypres but from ficking through it it goes into some good detail about the bombardment of Ypres.

Conor :rolleyes: