Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Conscription Service Numbers

Sappersnooper

Thanks for all the responses. It solves my problem, and a mere LCpl in the GWF system seems to have set a real hare running for the most senior ranks!

Oops, the system has just promoted me to Cpl. Heady days!

• 7 years later...
On 13/12/2016 at 17:24, Guest said:

There were 9,728 men (not boys) who enlisted under different terms and another 8,079 ex-servicemen enlisted with the Special Reserve after the MSA i.e between Sep 1916 and Sep 1918. ...some 17,807 outside the "duration of war" terms between end Sep 1916 and end Sep 1918. 

I hope we are all at least agreed that there were still routes other than "duration of war" terms albeit small as a percentage it still translated into a few tens of thousands of men. 

The bottom line is that the GARBA data clearly shows these men enlisting on other terms right through the war, so making a deliberate decision at least to serve longer than MSA requirements.......  

If I recall correctly, some serving men were sent back to civvy street for critical roles in certain highly skilled industries. At the end of the war 'Pivotal Men' and Coal Miners were prioritised for demobilization.  MG

Some evidence from GARBA that a minority of enlistments were under the established terms of service that existed before the war, but very, very, very exceptional. The above quote is edited slightly, and non-relevant items removed.

I must get access to a copy one of these days.