Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Total uniform novice!

Steve Bramley

HI All,

I've been round to a friends this evening whose Grandfather, a member of the 1/5th Lincolns, was killed at the Hohenzollern Redoubt (13/10/15).

My friend has a belt which was amongst his Grandfathers returned posessions. (sorry no photo) It is about three inches wide, with, what looks like straps for attachments.

On the reverse it has some faded lettering which looks like;

A large 'S' in black, and either 18 or T8 in a very faded 'oxblood' colour with an arrow pointing upwards. Also in black, what i think says ME CO 1909.

Any ideas what this peice of equipment was?

And what about the lettering?

Best Regards,

Steve.

is this what it looked like?: p08belt.jpg

If so, "S" is for size small; 18 or T8 could be unit markings; then obviously the date

Hi John,

Thats exactly what it looked like, thanks very much,

Cheers,

Steve.

As the caption states, this is the 1908 pattern webbing belt, seen in many pictures of servicemen, it was introduced in 1908 and was used throughout the war and after.

The ME Co relates to the manufacturer, Mills Equipment Company and 1909 the date of manufacture.

This was the key bit of equipment that nearly all other web equipment was attached to. The two back straps were used as part of the attachment for the entrenching tool carrier and small pack respectively.

Cheers.