Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo identification – GEA, or NR Askaris?

Holger Kotthaus

Gents,

The subtitle of following picture mentioned: “Askaris / cleaning of rifles / Udjiji 1912 / GEA.”

This note indicate for my understanding; German Askaris

Maybe I am wrong, but in my opinion Fez, rifle type and boots are British style?!?

Original Source: http://www.ub.bildarchiv-dkg.uni-frankfurt.de/CD/3317/2014/0661/3317_2014_0661_0048.jpg

3317_2014_0661_0048.jpg

For what it is worth, the nose-cap on the rifle on the left doesn't look German to me - I am not a rifle buff, but most Askari's had the older type German rifles (e.g., Gew.71, Gew.88, and so on) with a bayonet mortise on the top bar, but this one looks to be a bayonet beneath the barrel fitting. True, some Askari's did have Gew.98 rifles, this doesn't look a Gew.98!

You are right with the comments about the German rifle types. Not sure, but I don´t believe that the Gew. 98 was forwarded

to the Askari Companies already in 1912. (If the mentioned date 1912 is correct!?) My first idea was; British Snider-Enfield

Rifle, not the Carabine. But the closure system looked different. It´s also not follower model, the Lee-Metford type.

The height and dark colour (black or red) of the Fes is also not German style. Also the missing puttees, with or without boots

are mysterious for me.

2 hours ago, Holger Kotthaus said:

I must correct myself: The “Mauser Model 1871 for Jäger units” looks similar:

And I think that you are absolutely right on that!:thumbsup: My eyesight is not what it was...:( Looking again at the picture at home instead of the office computer, that rifle does have a bar-on-band fitting and so for the pre-Gew.98 series. Sorry for misleading anyone... And of course that metal piece at the end of the trigger guard...

Michaeldr - I didn't know about those cuff rings, so thanks for that. There is an excellent German book, with English language version, produced by Verlag Militaria on the German colonial forces, and our library has a copy but I can't remember seeing those cuff rings before.

Julian

I say German Askari, perhaps armed policemen.

Ujiji is near Kigoma on Lake Tanganyika.

Harry

Dear Michael, Trajan and Harry,

Many thanks for your helpful comments. Summarized, the weapon, chevrons and mentioned recording location  

are clear indications for Askaris from GEA. It´s only the untypical height, conical shape and colour of the Fez for

which I am still uncertain, if we compare this with the Rhodesia- and German headgear in the timeframe 1912-14.

Rhodesian- and German.JPG