Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marriage during War Service

Jane Heyburn

Hello

Hope this query isn't too frivolous for the forum.

My Grandmother Edith Smith married Bertie Ankers on 11th August 1915 in Darlington.  He had enlisted  (7155)  in 1914 into 18th DLI and then 16th Battalion Prince of Wales Own (WYR).

What I would like to know is how long in advance did they know they were going on leave so they could arrange a marriage and for how long did the leave last?

Also on the marriage certificate Bertie gives his profession as rivetter his pre-enistment employment, not soldier, and residence his home address.   When his sister Emily Alice Ankers married on 30th October 1915 her husband William David Sanders gave his profession as Soldier and residence as Audax Camp, Rouen, France, when before the War he was a blacksmith. I am assuming that you had a choice of what to put on the marriage certificate, 

Would appreciate any info or be pointed in the right direction!

Thanks    

The medal rolls show he was originally '18/2' which means he was the 2nd man numbered to the 18th battalion.

His marriage was before he went overseas to France so leave would generally have been easier to arrange.

Craig

One of my relatives was married in 1916 by Licence as opposed to Banns - this info is shown on the actual marriage certificate. Have you checked their actual certificate?

I understand that marriage by licence only required 48 hours notice which would have been easier for a serving soldier to arrange at the last minute, especially if he had a date for going overseas. I also understand that all soldiers had 4 days leave before going overseas (Somme by Lyn Macdonald).

In my case I was hoping his marriage certificate would give proof of his military rank but unfortunately does not - his occupation is listed as Dairyman which matches the 1911 census. He should have been serving with the 9th Hampshires at the time of marriage. He was married in a Baptist Church and I wonder if that is the reason why he put down his civilian occupation if he had the option to do so. Would he also have been allowed to wear civilian clothes I wonder?

Alan.

Thank you for your replies.  The marriage was by special licence in the Parish Church.  Perhaps Bertie put down his civilain occupation as he assumed his time as a soldier was only temporary and he would be resuming civilian life as soon as the war was over.. Sadly he was killed on 3rd September 1916 and is remembered on the Thievpal Memorial.  His widow Edith went on to marry William Todd in 1920.  William had also served in the war, being an original 'Yeoman Rifle'.  I was really pleased to be able to post a photo of William in uniform on the forum and add to the info on that particular thread.