Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The German helmet

Guest Benoit Douville

Guest Benoit Douville

I am looking for info as to when the German helmet (World War II type) were used for the first time in World War I, in what Battle? 1915 or 1916? It was on the Western Front I am sure.

World War II type

???????????

Do you mean when was the famous German Stahlhelm steel helmet introduced? If I have understood correctly a stormtrooper unit (5th Pioneerbattalion "Rohr") tested them for the first time as early as December 1915. In general battle they would be in February 1916.

World War II type

Is it just my imagination that the German helmets issued in WWI, although similar in shape, look a whole lot biggeron the head than WWII helmets?

Is it just my imagination that the German helmets issued in WWI, although similar in shape, look a whole lot biggeron the head than WWII helmets?

No, the German helmets used during the Second World War (and before) were re-designed and are significantly smaller then the Great War models. Very obvious when they are placed side by side.

I believe the first battle they were used in any numbers was Verdun in Feb. 1916 as Landstrum mentioned.

Regards

N.S.Regt.

Yes - the helmets were sent to Verdun bound troops as this is where the action was. Troops in other quieter sectors i.e. the Somme were lower down on the priority list.

I think the next main issue was Ypres but look to a Pal to confirm this?!

No, the German helmets used during the Second World War (and before) were re-designed and are significantly smaller then the Great War models. Very obvious when they are placed side by side.

Thanks for clearing that one up.