Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Bradford Pals

Chris_Baker

Can anyone who has some knowledge of the 1st Bradford Pals (the 16th West Yorks) confirm that 582 Private Albert Kaye was amongst those to form the battalion in September 1914? I would imagine he was, from his low number.

Kaye was posted to 93 Company MGC, and I believe it was before 1 July 1916. Any confirmation or ideas as to when this transfer might have taken place would be very valuable. 93 Company moved to France in May 1916, and I guess it would have been after that?

And stretching a point even further, if anyone has any other knowledge relating to Albert I would be really interested to hear of it.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Can you confirm that his number was 16/582 or just 582?

Regards Kevin

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Chris,

To answer part of your question, my wife's grandfather was 33081 in the MGC. He went to Grantham on 2 April 1916 on recovering from a GSW and was posted to 187 Coy on 5 July 1916 & left for Mespot on the same day. I have been told that his new number was issued when he arrived at Grantham.

George Coppard was brigaded into the MGC on 5 February 1916 and given the number 19012 (ref: 'With a Machine Gun to Cambrai').

As Kaye's number was 22741, is it not reasonable to assume that he joined/was brigaded into the MGC in February/March 1916?

Ian

Chris,

The following is taken from "The Bradford Pals" (3rd Edition) by Ralph Hudson pub.1998. Page 163. Appendix 5: The First Complete Roll Call "A Credit to the City"

On friday the 6th November, 1914, the Bradford Daily Telegraph, as part of its "War Relief Fund" campaign, listed the first 1000 men to enlist (along with their trades and profressions) in what was to become the 16th Battalion.

Page 171, KAYE, Albert, warp sizer. (service number not given)

Alan Seymour

Thanks as ever for your helpful - and amazingly quick - response. The reference from Ralph Hudson's book is just great. To fill in: Albert's number is given as both 582 and 16/582 on various papers. He moved to Egypt with the Pals, landing on 22 December 1915 so presumably would have joined MGC in France rather than in UK.

I presume his job was in the textile industry, part of my job many years ago was to repair fabric covered aircraft.

We were taught that fabric is made up of threads going left to right (Weft) and threads going up and down (Warp). I guess a Warp sizer measured these threads for bolts of cloth. I do not think it had anything to do with Star Trek. :D

My father in law was a weaving overlooker and had a number of machines to look after.

More to the point Im on the look out for info on Henry (Harry) Macdonald 12th West Yorks.. He fought in the Boer war and seems to have been about 34 when he died.

John

• 2 years later...
Chris,

The following is taken from "The Bradford Pals" (3rd Edition) by Ralph Hudson pub.1998. Page 163. Appendix 5: The First Complete Roll Call "A Credit to the City"

On friday the 6th November, 1914, the Bradford Daily Telegraph, as part of its "War Relief Fund" campaign, listed the first 1000 men to enlist (along with their trades and profressions) in what was to become the 16th Battalion.

Page 171, KAYE, Albert, warp sizer. (service number not given)

Alan Seymour

Alan, Is there any mention in the book to Abraham Linley 16/1679?

Brian