Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Battalion Norfolk Regt

Guest IanG65

Hello new to the forum here and trying to research my Great Grandfather who I think is the following according to the CWGC website.

Private George Isaac Smith 8th Battalion Norfolk Regt service number 24168 died 19/07/1916 and is buried at Bray Military Cemetery.

Although I have no proof that this is indeed him it seems after an exhaustive search he is the most likeliest candidate.The only other info I have is that George Isaac Smith was born in December 1889 in Great Yarmouth Norfolk and that he married in Great Yarmouth Norfolk in March 1910 to Annie Curchin.

I know for sure he served as my Great Nan did recieve a widows pension for him and that he was killed on the Somme (according to a family member) but thats about the extent of what I do know. I would love to learn about my Grandfather.

I have already learned quite a bit that I never knew about the WW1 period just from reading posts by some very knowledgable people

Any help advice hints tips or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks Ian.

Hi Ian,

SDGW does indeed have George Issac Smith as being born in Great Yarmouth and enlisted in Hull, Yorkshire, so maybe this is your Great Grandfather.

Andy

19th of July 1916 8th Norfolks advanced from s/w edge of Longueval at 7-15am and attacked the southern end of Delville Wood.

Info from British Battalions on the Somme.

Bob.

What a can of worms it seems I have opened.My Great Grandfather it seems did indeed serve with the 8th Battalion Norfolk regt and he is who I thought he was from the Commonwealth War Graves info.

However I now have been reliably informed that prior to his enlistment in the Army George Isaac Smith was in Her Majestys Navy and served aboard HMS Nith.

I have talked with one or two people that have said sometimes surplus navy people were sometimes let go and put into the army.

There is even another story from a family member that suggests he jumped ship to get into the army so he could get more into the fight so to say.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of Naval records? I have even less of a clue about Navy records then I do Army records.

Thanks Ian.

Ian

A search on 'Google' shows HMS Nith as being a Second World War ship - built in 1943!

Maybe just a little confusion in the family's memory to make it easier for you!

Chris,

That is what I thought too but dug a little deeper and found HMS Nith commisioned March 1905 and broken up in 1919.She was a river class Frigate.Ive only been able to find 2 refferences to her on the internet but Janes Fighting Ships Lists her too.

George Isaac Smith according to my Grandmothers birth certificate was by way of occupation a deep sea trawlerman in Great Yarmouth so I suppose it is entirely possible that he served in the Navy before transferring or jumping ship to join the Army.

I have heard of one or two people with relatives that started in the Navy but for various reasons then went into the Army.I am only wondering if this could be the case here.

Ian.