Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private G. Richards

theodore

Hi Rob

Can you help with any information on Private 9062 George Richards of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. He went to France with the Regiment on 27th August 1914. I would like to know the battalion he served in plus any further details regards his time with the regiment. According to his MIC he also served with three other Regiments.

Regards

Peter

from page 130, "The Story Of The Royal Warwickshire Regiment" by C.L. Kingsford

Regards

Richard

post-2-1102638077.jpg

Err... beg to differ! My relative was 2nd battn Royal Warks and landed in France early October 1914, after peace keeping duties in Salonika. Wounded in the retreat from Mons so your man could have been either 1st or 2nd battn. Not sure about the terriers but send a message to ROB WILLIAMS on this forum as he's helped me out in the past.

Err... beg to differ! My relative was 2nd battn Royal Warks and landed in France early October 1914, after peace keeping duties in Salonika. Wounded in the retreat from Mons so your man could have been either 1st or 2nd battn. Not sure about the terriers but send a message to ROB WILLIAMS on this forum as he's helped me out in the past.

According to Peter his relative went to France 27th August 1914. According to The Long Long Trail the movements of the 1st Battalion are consistent with this date and they were the only battalion on the Western Front at this time. It advises that the 2nd Battalion were in Malta and did not arrive arrive back in the UK until 19th September. As you have confirmed they then moved to France with the 7th Division in October 1914.

Rgds

Tim D

Hi Tim

Yes it would appear to be the 1st Battalion rather than the 2nd Warwicks that George served with according to when he went to France in August 1914. I've tried Rob Williams but no reply from him.

Regards

Peter