Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

50th (Northumbrian) Division - Somme 1916

delta

Grateful for assistance. 

Despite having checked the Official History of the Great War, I have been unable to determine when 50th Division arrived on the Somme in the summer of 1916 and what they were doing in the month before their attack at Martinpuich on 15 Sep 16

Thanks in advance

The 50th Div were moved the 3rd corps reserve area on 17 Aug.

During the first 10 days or so of Sept 151st Bde were training on doing practice attacks (including at least 1 divisional practice attack).

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

The 6th Bn history states

This ended the second phase of its war history, and a few days later it moved South to the Somme area.

On the 10th August, 1916, the Battalion entrained at Godewaersvelde, and detraining at Candas, marched to Heuzecourt and spent four days resting. The 15th, 16th and 17th were spent in marching through Vignacourt and Villers Bocage to Baizieux, where the men bivouaced in the wood. Here two accidents occurred. Major F. Walton, Second in Command, and Lieut. Ebsworth, M.C., Adjutant, were thrown from their horses and sustained broken limbs. 2nd Lieut. Kirkhouse resumed duties as Adjutant.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252
correction

Many thanks for this rapid and detailed reply; can you confirm the 6th were Durhams? 

16 minutes ago, delta said:

Many thanks for this rapid and detailed reply; can you confirm the 6th were Durhams? 

Sorry, yes it was.

I've corrected my earlier post - it was the history of the bn (not the diary) the quote was from.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252