Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Advice on a WW1 periscope

karenlr

Evening gentlemen

I,m looking for some advice here

I,m looking to buy for my son for Christmas a WW1 periscope to add to his collection of War memorbillia

There are a couple on ebay right now I,m looking at

I read a discussion on here back in 2011 regarding periscopes and whether they were genuine or not

would it be ok to ask if  someone take a quick look ath the ones on ebay and see if they look right?

Your help would be much appreciated

many thanks

Send me a message with the links and I'll take a look. We can't discuss ebay items on the open forum. regards Mark

Hi Karen

As Mark says, we can't discuss ebay or other items for sale on here. But Mark is a trustworthy and reliable advisor for what you have in mind.

Regards, W.

thank you

I,ll get the links up and send them 

much appreciated

Hi Karen,

the Chatham militaria may be a reasonable start and is just down the road from you. The fair is on Sunday 11th December at the Historic Dock yard and is open from 0700 in the morning until 1300 ish.

regards

Dave 

Hi Dave

Thanks...my son is always going there!

If he's working on the 11th I,ll go and have a look

best Regards

karen

Hi Karen,

I'd say that any persiscope you see on an auction site or a fair is likely to be the real deal.( If you're looking at similar to this one in the picture for example.) From my experience they come up fairly regularly and go for a bit below or above  £100 depending on condtion; more if they come with the leather case. I think it's one of those cases where they're not particularly rare or especially sought after but have a generally uniform value and that anyone who wants to pay the going rate can have one.  I can't see that it would be worth anyone's time making a forgery beacause they're well-made optical instruments and the workmanship involved wouldn't really warrant anyone trying to make a knock-off. 

My advice (without seeing the one you're looking at) is that it's unlikey to be reproduction.

Good luck!

Paul

20161126_014711 res.jpg