Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick Charles Moon

tom--15

Hello,

I am just looking to research Frederick Charles Moon from Dover and I can't seem to find which regiment he first enlisted to. I have managed to find out that he was wounded and then joined the Labour Corps until the end of WW1. The regiment number was 34777 if that helps.

Any help that anyone could give me about him would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

He was 34777 Northamptonshire Regiment. Went to France 25/3/1917. Wounded SW to neck 3/6/1917. Transferred to 67 Labour Coy 28/12/1918.

Has some surviving papers.

Hello,

Thank you for your quick responses.

I have printed off his service papers, would I be able to work out which battle he was wounded at through the regiment diaries? 

Thanks,

Tom

Am I getting that he was in a Northamptons (4 Infantry) Labour Battalion from 25.3.1917 to his wounding on 3.6.1917 ?

Might be difficult finding a War Diary for it as an entity.

Yes sotonmate, the 84894 is in the batch allotted to No.4 ILC Northants, which became 142 Company, Labour Corps.

I was just looking through his records and I think the 34777 service number is a red herring. He only appears to have served at Home for 12 days before being posted overseas with the ILC (142 Company as of May 1917). From what I have seen so far, I don't think that he served in action in an infantry batallion of the Northants.

It may be possible to roughly pin down where he was from the Order of Battle. I think it is themonsstar who seems to come up trumps with Labour Companies that he has extracted from the high level diaries.

Phil

According to the 1st July 1917 Orbat, 142 Company were attached to Third Army.

Phil

Edit: by the following month, 67 Company has also moved from 5th Army to 3rd Army.

Edited by Phil Evans
Additional information

Hi Tom,

It looks to me as if his record reads that he was 'transferred' to 142 Labour Company, Labour Corps on 14th May 1917. Hopefully someone who knows the dark arts of Labour Corps research will be able to help fill in some detail about what they were doing when Frederick was wounded. In the absence of that, I note that one report of his wounding on 3rd June 1917 seems to have come from the O/C 2/2 South Midland Field Ambulance - so it seems that he was evacuated through their hands. Their war diary indicates that they were based at Arras at the time (under the command structure of 61 Division), with the main dressing station being at "Hospital St. Jean - Rue St. Aubert". The diary for the Assistant Director Medical Services (61 Division) may give some more detail about the evacuation chain - locations of advance dressing stations, etc. To get an overview of what was happening during the day on which he was wounded (a day in the latter part of the 'Arras Offensive') in the area that he was likely wounded you could also look at the diary for 61 Division Headquarters (General Staff).

Regards

Chris 

Edited by clk
hyperlinks

The 14th May would probably be the date that the 4th ILC became 142 Coy LC. He was transferred under ACI 611 of 1917, (as stamped on his record), which defined the organisation of the Labour Corps.

One correction / clarification to my post #7 - The 34777 service number would have been his 4th ILC number and as such, he would have held it up until May and gone overseas under it.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...