Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Summerseat Mill Roll of Honour

Mark Hone

As this is a new section I will repeat my notice about the above memorial, which went missing in mysterious circumstances when the Riverside Inn in Summerseat, Bury was refurbished last year. The memorial, a beautiful illuminated scroll listing all the men who served from the Mill which previously occupied the Inn's premises, was actually the property of Bury Museum on long term loan (and clearly marked as such). Other items of memorabilia vanished at the same time. Luckily I photographed the memorial for the National Inventory a few years ago, but this is scant compensation for its loss. Any info gratefully received.

• 1 year later...

Mark,

I am not sure if there was another thread regarding the status of the missing Roll of Honor, but could you update us if it has been found?

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Andy,

No sign as far as I am aware, sadly. I'll chase Bury Museum up to see if they've heard anything. On a happier note I'm helping with a sort out at the LF museum at the moment and in the basement we've recovered the war memorial for a Bury club which was donated to the museum presumably when the club folded or its premises were demolished. Unfortunately the name of the club isn't mentioned on the memorial and no paperwork relating to the donation has been found. Detective work continues. Several of the names seem to have medical connections, which may be a clue.