Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph Allton, KIA 2 Jun 1916

SmallTownGirl

Hi peeps.

Joseph Allton, son of Tom and Ann, and husband of the late Elizabeth (nee Dring), was KIA on 2 Jun 1916 and is commemorated on the Menin Gate (panels 51 and 53).  He served in the Kings Royal Rifle Corps, 12th Bn, service no. R/2089.

I have all of Joseph's personal info and his service records (from Ancestry), but although I've tried searching the War Diaries, I can't seem to find out what he was involved in on the day he died.

Can anyone help me, please?

Thanks

STG

Possibly what was called  "normal wastage" in the trenches. No big actions, just now & then shell fire or snipers. Many WDs don't even mention losses or else just say for the day 2 ORs killed, 3 wounded & t hat is  all. Hope you can find more info somewhere.

STG

The WD of 12 KRRC for 02/06/1916 states that the Germans attacked the Canadian position in Sanctuary Wood and two companies of the KRRC were sent to assist. TNA ref WO 95/2120(1). There is also an account in the WD of 60 Infantry Brigade (20 Div). TNA ref WO 95/2118(4). On Ancestry go to War Diaries France and Flanders and just put the TNA ref into the Keywords box less the WO 95 i.e. 2120(1) for 12 KRRC and 2118(4) for 60 IB and leave everything else blank.

Brian

Hi STG,

Following on a bit from Brian, the diary entry says that the 2 companies that were sent up were placed under the orders of the 7th Canadian Infantry Brigade. Their diary is in the Canadian archives (free to view) here, and might be worth a look at to see if it can add any context/detail.

Regards

Chris

Edit: the hyperlink above doesn't seem to want to work. However, if you put "7th Canadian Infantry Brigade" into the first keyword field in the advanced search (here), and use the date range field, it is easy to find

Edited by clk

Thanks peeps.

I can't quite get the hang of the Canadian Archives website.  The first keyword field + date (exact date 2 Jun 1916) brings up four results, but when I click on each in turn, I don't seem to get to the diaries.  Am I doing something wrong?

STG

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 20:56, brianmorris547 said:

STG

The WD of 12 KRRC for 02/06/1916 states that the Germans attacked the Canadian position in Sanctuary Wood and two companies of the KRRC were sent to assist. TNA ref WO 95/2120(1). There is also an account in the WD of 60 Infantry Brigade (20 Div). TNA ref WO 95/2118(4). On Ancestry go to War Diaries France and Flanders and just put the TNA ref into the Keywords box less the WO 95 i.e. 2120(1) for 12 KRRC and 2118(4) for 60 IB and leave everything else blank.

Brian

Hi Brian

I've found the page using the 2120(1) search, but not the one for 2118(4).  There are a few 20th Div on the latter, but I can't see any 60 IB.  Am obviously a dunce at all this.

STG

PS : Joseph was my maternal g.uncle.  I can't help but think about his two children.  Their mother died in 1912, when the children were four and two years old.  And then four years later that their father died too. Heartbreaking :(

STG

Click on the first one under various dated 11/02/1916 and then go to page 345 of 685.

Brian

6 minutes ago, brianmorris547 said:

STG

Click on the first one under various dated 11/02/1916 and then go to page 345 of 685.

Brian

Thanks so much. :)

STG

Hi STG,

2 hours ago, SmallTownGirl said:

Thanks peeps.

I can't quite get the hang of the Canadian Archives website.  The first keyword field + date (exact date 2 Jun 1916) brings up four results, but when I click on each in turn, I don't seem to get to the diaries.  Am I doing something wrong?

STG

If you're still having problems with it ...

STG.jpg

Regards

Chris