Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Un-named medals on ebay

Terry

Any of the Pals have any thoughts on the batch of 14 and 14-15 stars, bronze war medals,etc., all supposedly obtained in India and all un-named? This dealer seems to have an unending supply of items which were never named. Are they the real thing?

In the 50's I worked in a foundry and half a ton of WW1 medals came in to be melted down, they all had names on them.

Ray

I can imagine tears in the eyes of all the collectors on the forum! The same thing happened again in the early 80"s silver boom; how many star & victory medal pairs missing the war medal do we see popping up on ebay and speedbid?

Apparently quite a number of fraudulently named South African WW1 medals - 14/15 Stars in particular - are cropping up on the UK market. Not sure of the origin, and I've only seen pics of the naming, so can't tell if they're named duds or skimmed and renamed genuines.

There are many genuinely struck 1914-15 Stars, War Medals and Victory Medals that have come out of South Africa recently - they are unnamed because they were never officially issued.

They were stock retained by the authorities for issue to late claimants.

How they got out, I know not.

Some are being fraudulently named up.

The blank ones, however, make grand gap fillers ... if you're a gap filler by inclination.

Regards, Pals

William

friend worked in a Belfast pawn shop in the early seventies....arsonists struck and when the fireproof safe was opened the massive amount of medals were one mass block of alloy! :huh:

Buyer beware

CAVIAT EMPTOR indeed ;)

The worrying thing is that I've bought from this dealer before :blink:

Gad, Derek, you are still alive and well? She Who Must Be Obeyed must have taken pity on you (or never read your comment!!!)

Cheers from Canada,

Terry

Wonder if these came via Canada or South Africa to India or Indian copies.

Andy