Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What does 7 days CB mean?

Dragoon

Hello, what does CB mean on a discipline sheet mean please 

Confined to Barracks for 7 days.

Roger M

Edit: Having said that perhaps those with more military experience could tell me if there was more to it. I can't help feeling that warrant officers and NCOs could find things for people who could not leave the barracks to do.

Edited by rolt968

Thanks for quick response, should have been more clear, this chap was in France at the time,Nov 1914  it says, leaving the detachment on the march, 7 days CB?

Edited by Dragoon

There must have been some equivalent of confined to barracks even in France at least out of the line.

Also presumably it did not necessarily have to take place immediately - 7 days CB when there was a "barracks" to be confined to?

Roger M

Could it also have meant Confined to Billets? This could have been when the mans unit was out of the line but not in a formal camp?

Edited by johnboy

2 minutes ago, johnboy said:

Cod it have meant Confined to Billets? This could have been when the mans unit was out of the line but not in a formal camp?

And hence not allowed to visit the local estaminet. I'm more sure the sergeant major would have found something to fill his time.

Roger M

Ha ha, yes, the BSM would not have been this chaps friend! So confined to billets or barracks, either way going nowhere when out of the line. Your help as always chaps is greatly appreciated,  Chris

CB, as a standard (relatively minor) disciplinary punishment, invariably means "Confined to Barracks", with its own definition provided in part by Regulations, and in part by custom and practice, covering various eventualities. It would be misleading and confusing to also attempt to interpret it as meaning "Confined to Billets".

15 hours ago, rolt968 said:

Confined to Barracks for 7 days.

Roger M

Edit: Having said that perhaps those with more military experience could tell me if there was more to it. I can't help feeling that warrant officers and NCOs could find things for people who could not leave the barracks to do.

Yes, there was more to it.

There would be extra fatigues (dirty jobs) and frequent parades at awkward times - usually at the Guard Room - often in full marching order, with rigorous inspections, banned from canteens, all that sort of thing.

I see, when I was in we called it ROPS - restriction of privileges, so simaler thing. Cheers again

Confined to Barracks...RAF.... Confined to Camp....... slang...being on "jankers" or a "fizzer" initiated by being put on a charge and the Form 252 being initiated.Those where a charge had been successful were known as defaulters.....early morning calls were denied for defaulters. 

Extra duties were imposed on defaulters above their normal daily duties or work.Report at the Guardroom in full kit at 0630,carry out the detailed work then go on to normal work at say 0830.Then after work report to the Guardroom at 1830 for a further stint of duties in the evening...then on to bed and then up and on to the Guardroom at 0630..finish at 0800..on to the mess and grab breakfast. ...3 days jankers were the norm for minor offences such as being late on the weekly working parade.