Remembered Today:

War Diary of Stretcher-bearer Aug-Nov 1914

Guest AdamMcLean

Guest AdamMcLean

I am at present transcribing my Grandfather's War Diary covering the

period August 4th - November 24th 1914.

He was a stretcher bearer in the Ist Royal Fusiliers- 17th Infantry Brigade -

6th Division. During the time of this diary he was near the Marne, then on

the Aisne, then moved close to Armentieres.

It is not so much a military diary but a personal account of his day

to day experiences. He had an amazing sense of humour even when

close to death, and the diary, for me, captures something of the amazing

spirit and good humour that ordinary people showed in that conflict.

I am not sure what to do with it when I have completed the transcription.

I was primarily motivated to do this for my mother (his daughter), who

was never able to read his handwriting, but I do feel it has some

significance beyond his family. He had a great sense of observation

and description and later became a professional writer for Newspapers.

Here is short extract.

Tuesday 3rd November. Was disturbed early by a terrific explosion. Another house gone astray. Flames are starting all round. One of A Company has just stopped a machine gun bullet with his shoulder. One of C Company at the end of their shift was carrying a bottle of rum for his section. A piece of shrapnel took the bottom of the bottle away and he was left with the cork alone. He stood still in the open and his language was shocking. Under his other arm he had a large piece of cheese. All his lament was that the cheese had been spared and the rum taken. About midday we received another shower. Down the trench we hopped and are still there now. Shells are dropping fast and furious. This continued until dusk. Then we hopped out. Our farm was still intact. At night the French on our right were heavily attacked and we had to “stand to”. Nothing happened however.

Adam McLean

Guest AdamMcLean

Another short extract.

We started marching about 10 am. Dead men and horses (German) are littered frequently. We came across a wounded Uhlan whom I have conveyed to a house and am now looking after until we can find the Field Ambulance. Poor devil he is on a stretcher in the kitchen. I am afraid to leave him as I distrust a couple of French peasants in the room who possibly might do him harm. I don’t think he has much chance of life. The house is filthy dirty and I shall be glad to leave it. Three cavalry horses dead are in the roadside by the door. Our troops have gone on. I shall have a job to find them again. We do get some cheerful jobs. Here am I locked up with a couple of filthy old women and a dying German. Hooray. They are acting like decent and have given us a cup of coffee. I hope it is not poisoned. After roaming the village I found some food which I cooked at HOME and with coffee and cognac given by the old lady Ginger and I dined quite decently. Artillery have been passing our place all day and have taken all the saddlery from the dead horses outside. There is a dead Uhlan behind the house. Quite a young fellow with a beautiful beard. Two Frenchmen had a row in our house which I settled by giving both the order of the “Boot”. Some peasants here have just told us that there are Allemands (Germans) in the wood. We heard a maxim plainly just now but sincerely hope they are not too near us. I don’t fancy Christmas in Berlin. Ginger has gone to find assistance of some kind. I am left alone. Cheerful it is too. No rifle worst luck. Still I suppose it is all in a lifetime.

Adam McLean

Hi Adam

Great stuff, after transcribing your Grandfather's War Diary you may like to pass a copy to the Royal Fusiliers museum if they have one or the IWM, plus keep posting here. I love his sense of humour, real Tommy Atkins stuff.

Annette

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Those were really interesting extracts.

My grandfather was also a stretcher bearer during the same time as yours, unfortuatley I cannot trace which unit he was attached, although I do know that he went over there with the Grenadier Guards in August 1914. I am sure that his experiences would have been very similar to those of your grandfather so it is an fascinating insight into what he would have seen and done

Rod

• 5 months later...
Since last year the Last Post Association organises a concert to raise funds. It is called the Great War Remembered. After the success of last year we will organise this event possibly on yearly bases now. The songs and music are welded by texts. This year we would like to use texts from personnal diaries. Specifically for texts of a few lines (15 to 20 maximum) and expressing the feelings of the man.

Hi Adam,

Could I use your second extract for abocve event ? Naturally if you agree you will be credited for it.

Jacky