Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles Goldthorp Vickers

smiths565

I am researching men from my area, Stannington, Sheffield in the parish of Bradfield and I have now expanded my research to include the war memorial at St Nicholas, Bradfield.

One name that appears is Captain Charles Goldthorp Vickers of 2nd/4th Bn, York & Lancaster Regiment, he doesn't have a service number on the CWGC website.

Is it because he is a Captain ?

Also, a plaque in the area says he was buried at Graincourt Cemetery and he fell at Bourlon Wood, France.

The CWGC says he is remembered on the Cambrai memorial - is this because the cemetery was destroyed ?

any help would be great.

The results of my research and firther information about Captain Charles Goldthorp Vickers can be found on my website Stannington Roll Of Honour 1914-20

Many thanks,

Robert

Officers (all officers?) did not have service numbers until fairly recently, hence why none is evident on the CWGC. Even now, their service numbers are not inscribed on medals etc. unlike other ranks', but used purely for administrative purposes

Richard

Robert,

He was probably originally buried and then his final resting place lost due to shelling etc.

This is why he is now remembered on the Cambrai Memorial where over 7000 names of the missing of the Cambrai operations are commemorated, Bourlon Wood being part of these actions.

Bob.