Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South African Heavy Artillery

jamielstevens

I am trying to find information re the movements of the South African Heavy Artillery, and in particluar any sources available re medal rolls etc.

I have my grandfathers medals, but name etc on rim does not include a regmt number.

I was hoping that I could determine the date of entry / batallion/division etc and from that some understanding of his involvement and movements.

Hi JLS

First thing would be to get his MIC from the NA however, I am not sure if all South African issues are contained in this file MIC Index

If a MIC exists there is a possibility that the medal roll itself would have the battery listed, however this would be lucky as many artillery men on medal rolls have no unit description.

The National Archives have many War Diaries for SA units but one would first need to know the battery. Have you any family stories etc which may halp pinpoint a particular battery??? What is your mans name and rank etc . etc??

Roop

Thanks for the quick reply.

I had tried the MIC index, without success

Name is Wheeler, Ernest George (although his medals show only George).

Rank was Bombadier.

Any other pointers very much appreciated.

Hello JLS,

My grandfather's brother was an officer in the South African Heavy Artillery. He signed up on 1 August 1915, while living in Johannesburg. Where was your gf living?

The following NA files may contain something interesting. But, as I live in Dublin, I cannot pop down to see.

WO 329 / 2303 South African Heavy Artillery

WO 95 / 542 44th (South African) Brigade RGA(Fifth Army) – Mar. ’16 to Dec. ’18.

WO 95 /542 125th (South African) Siege Battery, RGA

There was also a 50th (South African) Brigade.

I have been unable to find an MIC for him on the NA website. So as Roop says, that database is incomplete. What medals were awarded to your grandfather?

Anyway, in desparation I wrote to the South African Museum of Military History requesting assistance.

I received a response on Monday. They have told me that the South African National Defence Force Archives (sandfdoc@mweb.co.za) hold the records of WWI servicemen. Family members need merely to grant permission for a search, and a copy of the records will be sent free of charge. Seems to good to be true!

Give it try.

Justin

Many thanks Justin,

As far as we know my gf was living in Pretoria at the time.

I think everything is pointing to me heading up to the NA at some point.

Many thanks for the references, it looks a good starting point.

Regards

John

If your man came from Pretoria, there is a good chance he joined the Transvaal Battery (3rd) this was later renamed the 71st Siege Battery. Recruited possibly at formation in July 1915. Courtesy LLT and notes.

War Diaries for the 71st SB are not apparent at the National Archives.

Roop

John,

As Roop wrote, if your grandfather was living in Transvaal, then he probably enlisted in one of the local brigades, either 3rd or 6th. Both of these were integrated into the Royal Garrison Artillery as the 71st and 125th Siege Battieries.

Like Roop, I have found nothing on the 71st, but the 125th is referenced at the NA.

More importantly, both SBs were part of the 44th (South African) brigade.

What medals were awarded to your grandfather? Was it not the standard trio?

Justin

I can put you in touch with a very efficient SA researcher who would be able to dig out his WW1 papers. He's done quite a bit of work for me and is always very helpful, so if you include your queries he may be able to provide additional help.

PM me if you want his address.

Cheers

Richard

Richard, Justin & Roop,

Many thanks for you pointers and info.

They will be very useful when I find the time to get up to the NA, for a day or two.

The only medals I have are the standard 2, plus a couple of cap badges etc.

Richard, Thanks also for the possible contact with a researcher in SA. In fact I am already in the process of having some non-military research done by a lady recommended to me a few weeks ago, and just awaiting her first pack of information. I may come back to you in this avenue does not work.

Thanks again gentlemen

• 1 month later...

Richard, Justin, Roop et al,

Just had to close the loop re previous notes and advice.

Justin, your pointer to the SA Dept of Defence was spot on.

I made contact early Jan, and provided as much known info as possible, via e-mail. Today (9 Feb) I received 2 pages of photocopy of grandfathers service record, it having been posted in SA on 26 Jan. No charge at all. Fantastic service.

They are to be congratulated. Certainly faster than many professional services.

Some of the entry is a little difficult to read due to faded ink, or overstamping by various stamps, and a line at the top of page 1 is slightly 'cutoff', but hey it's a miracle this kind of thing is still available. God Bless em.

I am about to set out all the entries and see what chronological order I can establish. There seems to have been some quite long periods of leave, and also reference to being 'wounded in action'. There is details of embarkation from S Africa, and also that he joined the 74th Siege Battery.

Would recommend others try this root if having problems.

Thanks again everybody, I am off to try and work my way through 'Grandads war'

Thanks

John,

I'm so glad that you were successful too! Did you see my posting a few days ago?

I'll send this a PM as well to ensure that you get it.

I received my great-uncles ten-page service record last week; I was over the moon. Some of it is indeed difficult to read. Embarassing as it is, I have to resort to a magnifier. Even with this help the abbreviations often make litte sense, e.g. N & C SB, SAHA 109, etc.

Like you I know the unit(s) in which Roland served, but have little or no idea where he served. Most frustrating!

As far as I can see, researchers of the SAHA are a tiny minority. Somehow, John, we need to get our hands on the file in TNA. I'm sure it would answer a lot of questions.

I too shall transcribe the records and then we can exchange notes.

Roop - do you have a personal interest in the SAHA?

All the best.

Here's some good background info that I found while surfing:

The South African Heavy Artillery during the First World War

by Ingrid Machin of the South African Military History Society

The South African contingent, which General Louis Botha offered in July 1915 for the war in Europe, consisted of 4 infantry battalions, 5 heavy artillery batteries, a general hospital and a signal company. The 5 heavy artillery batteries were affiliated to the British Royal Garrison Artillery as the 71st (Transvaal), 72nd (Griqualand West), 73rd (Western Cape), 74th (Eastern Province) and the 75th (Natal). Later a 6th battery, the 125th (Transvaal) was formed. All were armed with 6" howitzers.

The new force embarked at Cape Town between 28 August and 17 October 1915, and all units were in England by November. The artillery moved to camp at Bexhill.

In April and May 1916 the 5 original batteries landed at Le Havre, while the 125th followed in July. They were then deployed along the length and breadth of the Western front. They supported their countrymen of the S.A. Infantry on only three occasions, the 75th at Warlencourt (lst Somme, October 1916), the 74th at Vimy Ridge (3rd Arras, spring 1917) and the 71st at 3rd Ypres (summer 1917). Late in 1917 and in early 1918 all these batteries were combined as the 44th (71st, 73rd and 125th SBs as well as 20th) in the 5th Army and 50th (72nd, 74th, and 75th SBs and 275th battery RGA) brigades RGA.

All batteries, at some time, took part in The Battle of the Somme (July-November 1916). At this time the 73rd achieved a record firing rate of 32 rounds in 8 minutes from each gun. After the opening days of the Somme, the 72nd spent 8 months on the banks of The Ancre River before joining the 73rd, at Vimy Ridge during 3rd Arras in the Canadian attack of 9-10 April 1917. Both batteries suffered heavy casualties and were strafed by Richthofen's "Circus". In May 1917 the 72nd were transferred to the 1st Canadian Heavy Artillery in the Vimy area, moving in October to relieve the 73rd. Again both batteries had to endure heavy fighting and gas attacks.

At Vimy Ridge the 74th battery supported the S.A Infantry. In a 5-day bombardment, there were 2,879 British guns, of which 989 were heavy artillery, providing 1 gun for every 9 yards of the front (approx 8 metres). At one time in this engagement, the 74th was the furthest forward of the British siege guns. Later, the 74th was engaged in the first stages of 3rd Ypres (July-November 1917) and suffered such heavy casualties that the battery was reduced to just 1 gun and 70 men. The 125th, after involvement in the 4th week of the Somme and in 3rd Arras, was attached to the Belgian Army. The 44th brigade, fighting east and south of Bethune, was engaged up to the 6th November 1918, the last week of the war. The 50th Brigade was eventually attached to Australian and Canadian units.

The battle honours granted to the 6 batteries, show the extent of their involvement on the Western front. Curiously they have never been displayed anywhere, despite the fact that regiments take great pride in the display of their battle honours.

Cheers,

Justin

• 19 years later...

Chris Schoeman's "The Somme Chronicles" (Zebra Press, 2014) is a much better (and more detailed) overview of the SAHA.

Greetings

Benjamin Thyla