Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CEF Records

andy1400

My great uncle served in the Canadian Army. I have found his enlistment papers on the Canadian archives. Has anyone ordered service records from the archive to be sent to the UK? Did they have any problems and also I am a little concerned about faxing my card details. Finally, roughly how much does it cost.

Hi

I had allways mailed my request in I do not like the idea of Faxing my card information also. The price is 40 cents Canadian per page plus shipping. Most records are about 25 to 75 pages unless he or she was wounded which the medical file could be quite lengthy. Officers can also have quite large files and some WW1 vets may have re-enlisted in WW2 which would also add to the cost if their records are available (person has to died 20 years previously). I am not sure of the shipping charges to the UK but I am sure they could give you a rough idea if you Email.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Thank you for that info. I just wanted some idea of the cost. The information in the file should be well worth it.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

I formerly always got my files directly from the Archives, but more recently have used the services of researcher Arnie Kay. One advantage is that he knows what we collectors want for paperwork (attestation and discharge documents, service and casualty forms, circumstance of death form if applicable, medical history,will, medal issue card,etc.) and that cuts down on some of the "bumpf" that the Archives people might copy for you (eg. page after page of pay statements,etc.).

On the other hand, if it is a relative, you might prefer to get the full file for every possible bit of information on the soldier. Either way, the Canadian archives are an amazing resource, which I dearly wish existed for my 1914 star collection.

Hi Doug,

Arnie is at akay@comnet.ca and I have never been disappointed with his work. Cheers,

Terry

Thanks to all. I shall get started in the New Year.

Andy