The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

16TH BATTALION, COUNTY OF LONDON WESTMINSTER RIFLES

NEFERTITI

Can anyone assist me. I am researching the background of a soldier who served in the 16th Battalion, County of London Westminster  Rifles  who was killed in action on the 30th April 1918 and is remembered on the Jerusalem Memorial. I am having difficulty in finding any mention of this regiment serving in this theatre of  war.  Can anyone give me any more information.

2/16th London Regiment (Queen's Westminster Rifles) part of 179 Bde, 60 Division. My Grandfather served with them and I have studied his service. 

qwr jerusalem.JPG

Jerusalem Memorial

Edited by Jrmh

1 hour ago, LarsA said:

It will be easier to help if you give us his details.

ATB,

The soldier in question is Herbert John Hiram Fullerton Baker  S/no 554396.  16th Battalion, Westminster Rifles  K.I.A.  30/4/18  Remembered on Jerusalem Memorial

Lars

Recommended for gallantry for action at AIN KARIM, JERUSALEM 7-9 Dec 1917 according to Bn War Diary.

One of 18 ORs killed 30 April 1918 near El Haud.

baker.JPG

Edited by Jrmh

Just out of interest, I have been to Ain Karim ("Well of the Vineyard") - a particularly steep hill with a spring at the foot of it. The church at the top is said to mark the location of the Visitation (when Mary visited her cousin Elizabeth, recalled any time a choir/congregation sings the Magnificat). There is another church at the foot of the hill, in the main village. Must have been very strange, fighting in a place of such cultural significance.

Hi,   Thank you very much for the information it is just what I needed.  Have you by any chance got a copy of the War Diary with the events leading up to his death on the 30th , which would be most helpful.  Thanks again for taking the trouble to assist me. Palestine.

Not sure what the blank is - I only sent one page with the Diary extract.

Jim