Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Firing an 18pdr Artillery gun

Aaron Nelson

Hi,

Can anyone describe to me the sequence/procedure that the crew of an 18pdr British Artillery gun would have gone through to fire the weapon. Also does anyone know the technique used by the artillery to create a '"creeping barrage" as infantry moved forward.

Thanks Aaron.

Aaron.

I havean 18 pdr Gun Drill Book amd the relevant information on a Creeping Barrage but I will be leaving for work in a few minutes so I will put the information on the Forum tonight if I'm not late back.

John

I, too, look forward to John's explanation, if he has time to search it out. I couldn't remember all the details now, but I had a lesson in how to fire an 18 pounder in about 1971 from a man called Frank Holmes. He was driver in the Royal Horse Artillery 1916-18 and I was accompanying him to the Royal School of Artillery Open Day at Salisbury Plain. He talked his way past the barriers in the museum tent and with him sitting on one side of the trail and me on the other, he gave a lesson to quite a sizeable crowd on how it was done.

(Frank once recalled the terrifying experience of crossing a canal-bridge at a gallop at night with a team of six horses, gun and limber, only to find that the centre section of the bridge had been blown away since he was last there. The whole lot went into the canal and one of Frank's pair of horses was drowned.)

Tom

I'm sorry Pals, but there was a Parents Evening at school tonight which I forgot about, and it dragged on a bit so I will explain all tomorrow.

John

Thanks John, look forward to your response.

Tom, sounds like you met a real character there, its a real shame there all gone now. I wish I started my research when they were all still alive. Best resource was the men who were there themselves.

Thanks for looking this up John, regards Aaron.

Just as a taster, the Osprey Vanguard series on 'British Artillery 1914-19' (ISBN 1 84176 688 7) mentions the following:

'An 18-pdr field gun had a crew of ten, six of whom [Numbers 1-6, assuming no casaulties] operated it in action. It was towed by a limber drawn by a team of six horses, with a driver riding the nearside horse of each pair. On reaching his gun's 'platform' (firing position), the Number 1 will order 'Halt, Action - front'. The team would advance until the gun was in position, where it would be unhooked by the Nos 2 and 3, the limber moved forward, and the gun turned through a half-circle anticlockwise (or uphill, if on a slope) to face the enemy.' At this point, John picks up the story...

No 1 was 'in command'.

The No 2 was responsible for 'cradle clamping gear, range indicator and field clinometer. Operates breech mechanism. Removes breech and muzzle covers. Mans right wheel in action.'

The No 3 was 'responsible for dial sight, sight clinometer and sight cover. Lays for line and (with No 2) lays for elevation. Fires the gun.

No 4 'plants aiming posts. Loads the gun. Mans left wheel in action.'

Nos 5 & 6 'prepare and supply ammunition. No 6 operates the fuse indicator. Mans the trail at "run up"'

Robert

Tom I was at the School in 1971 on my Gunnery Staff Course perhaps we passed on another in the display area.

John

Wow,

thanks to all those who ansewered, as always the experts come through and I am thankful for your efforts to answer my question. My Great Grandfather was in the RFA for two years and manned an 18pdr. I dont know his exact capacity on the gun crew, but atleast now I have a description of what he would have done in action all those years ago. Thanks Aaron.