Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Calcutta Football Club team photo. 1911-22

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear Soccer fans,

My erstwhile Lieut John Patrick O'Shea (1887-1953), who was Mentioned in Depatches for his efforts in Mesopotamia, Persia, Kurdistan and Iraq, 1918-20 (Lieut., No. 2 Burma Ford Van Company: later known as 1024 Burma MT Coy ASC), came out to India in 1911 as a Merchant. An Irishman, he played for the Calcutta Football Club and was a one-time captain of the team.

The Calcutta FC won the Championship in 1916 and 1920. (This surely made the newspapers in Calcutta and possible elsewhere.)

I am seeking a Calcutta FC Team photo, circa 1911 to, say, 1922, which included J. O'Shea, please. 

Kindest regards.

Kim.

thelindsayhouse@web.de

Morpeth Herald Friday 23rd January 1953.jpg

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

Kim

Presumably you've tried Calcutta Cricket and Football Club: http://www.ccfc1792.com/rugby.php

The Rugby Memorabilia Society might be willing to put something in their newsletter or magazine. I'll send you a contact email separately.

Would be very interested if a team photo of 1913 to 1915 turns up as I'm researching someone who played rugby for Calcutta then.

Gwyn

Dear Gwyn,

Yes, thanks for that and all directions will be tried. 

Both of us will be thrilled to bits if 1913-15 team photos come to light. As JMAT once said: If you don't ask, you don't get...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Jan 1922 Indian Army List war services of British officers of the IA.jpg

Kim

Had a look at some Indian papers and although couldn't see a photograph, O'Shea was playing for Calcutta since at least July 1910.

Aled

Dear Aled,

This a really good piece of Intelligence. I will weave it into my on-going O'Shea manuscript immediately. 

Many thanks for looking through those Indian papers: much appreciated!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 4 months later...

Dear Aled and Gwyn,

Happily, I have acquired this photograph of the Calcutta Football Club team of 1910: they were Runners-Up to the Gordon Highlanders team, who won the Indian Football Association Tournament in that year. Sadly, the photograph lacks names.

John Patrick O'Shea, in business at the time in Calcutta, was (according to his brief Obituary above) Captain of the team. On the other hand, he would have been circa 23 at the time, and - frustratingly - the Captain pictured, looks older. At least it could be either him, or one or two of the others (the Team are all listed, together with a picture of his medals).58dd7b270d310_26May1910CFCTeamvHLI.jpg.4e85bc09f2d865f12b5ed6480652b34d.jpg58dd7b78a760b_CalcuttaFootballClubTeam1910OSheapossiblyCaptain.thumb.jpg.2e75e38ac9a7ebbe3f4f6cab66004ef4.jpgGSM_small.jpg.1f36bd3de8a55006cc9ced9b76485ed2.jpg58dd7bdad6332_J.P.OSheadeathnoticeTimesMonday19Jan1953.JPG.a5131e31157cd11b38e7b1018423f05a.JPG

Any further help in my search for an Image of J. P. O'Shea, would be greatfully received...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

thelindsayhouse@web.de

Kim,

This link to Findmypast  http://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0000344%2f19530703%2f082   should take you to a page from the Morpeth Herald of 3rd July 1953. It shows an admittedly not very clear photo of John PatrickO'Shea and his bride, plus attendants, on his wedding day. I am not sure how to crop this photo to get it onto the forum. Perhaps another member could oblige. I am not sure if the Morpeth Herald still exists, but if it does then they may have a better copy of the photo.

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm

Dear Alf; dear IPT,

Well done, indeed!

I owe both of you a huge vote of thanks. Good work! (Please give me your addresses via PM and I will send each a book from my military library, as a reward.)

The O'Shea - Deuchar wedding was in 1922 (reported in The Times). H58dd9697f1153_OSheamarriageTimesMonday28Sep1922.JPG.62d91a3aa857453e8735b83c9d08c18c.JPGe died in 1953 and the Morpeth Herald published his Obituary, and some months later, the above wedding photo (perhaps IPT could beam me the accompanying text, please?).

Happily, the groom of 1922 looks very much like the erstwhile CFC XI Captain of 1910. 

This is particularly good news, inasmuch as 1) IAROs are notoriously difficult to research, and 2) an Officer group photo of 1024 Burma Coy ASC was probably taken, but well-nigh unfindable!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kim,

Please accept my apologies. I have made a terrible mistake, and this is not the wedding photo of John Patrick O'Shea. I'm afraid I connected Morpeth and O'Shea and didn't properly read the text which came with the photo. This is the photo of Patrick O'Shea, son of Patrick G. O'Shea of Limerick, to Miss Violet Black, on 27th June 1953!

I'm afraid I put 2 and 2 together and made 5!

Given the connection of O'Shea and Morpeth, perhaps Patrick G. O'Shea was a brother of John Patrick.

Apologies again for mis-leading you.

Regards,

Alf

58de389a41f83_NamingsOSheaMedals.jpg.5f70e0e8a5b04cbc1bcc927581acd1d1.jpgDear Alf,

Never mind. As the Germans say: Kommando zurück! 

I am now back to Square One, but at least have the un-named 1910 Calcutta Football team, of which the elusive John Patrick O'Shea was one...

Many thanks for going to all the trouble; IPT, too. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

On 31/03/2017 at 06:36, alf mcm said:

Kim,

Please accept my apologies. I have made a terrible mistake, and this is not the wedding photo of John Patrick O'Shea. I'm afraid I connected Morpeth and O'Shea and didn't properly read the text which came with the photo. This is the photo of Patrick O'Shea, son of Patrick G. O'Shea of Limerick, to Miss Violet Black, on 27th June 1953!

I'm afraid I put 2 and 2 together and made 5!

Given the connection of O'Shea and Morpeth, perhaps Patrick G. O'Shea was a brother of John Patrick.

Apologies again for mis-leading you.

Regards,

Alf

Alf  it's a mistake we all make in the excitement of a "find". In my early days of family ancestral research I just clean forgot that females change their surname on marriage and this elementary and simple error sent me on some wild goose chasing on Ancestry