Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieut Harry Kent, King's (L'pool) Regt., and RFC

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear RFC afficionados,

The 24 May 1917 "Flight" contained the following note:-

'An engagement is announced between Lieutenant HARRY KENT, King's (Liverpool) Regiment and R.F.C., and JESSIE ELAINE, eldest daughter of FARQUHAR DEUCHAR, of Loansdean, Morpeth, Northumberland.'

The 28 September 1922 "Times" contained the following marriage notice:-

'Mr. J. O'SHEA and MISS DEUCHAR. The marriage arranged between John O'Shea, of Calcutta, and Jessie, eldest daughter of Farquhar Deuchar, Shortridge, Warkworth, will take place quietly at Warkworth Parish Church early in October.'

The Lieut John Patrick O'Shea saga is recorded elsewhere in GWF threads.

Suffice to say that the erstwhile Calcutta FC captain and IARO (1024 Burma MT Coy ASC) (Despatches), married into money: Farquhar Deuchar died in 1947 leaving half a million Pounds.

The question here is: what happened to RFC Lieut Harry Kent, 1917-18...?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear Promenade,

The plot thickens!

Many thanks for this unexpected twist in the Deuchar - O'Shea saga. Tantalizing!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kim

Lt Harry Kent of No 4 Reserve Squadron RFC (formerly 1st King's (Liverpool) Regiment) was injured on 12 September 1916 when he misjudged the landing of a Maurice Farman Shorthorn on his first solo flight.

In January 1917 he went on to be an Instructor with No 58 Squadron at Cramlington.

I hope this is useful.

Gareth

Edited by Dolphin

Dear Gareth,

This is indeed useful!

Further research into the doings of Harry Kent, show him to have, post-Great War, reverted to Other Rank status and shifted to the Tank Corps, amongst other things - not least possible bigamy. 

As far as his airmanship is concerned, one cannot help being amused at his crashing an aircraft in September, and becoming an Instructor in February!

Many thanks for your invaluable help. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 3 months later...
Guest Adrian Kent

Harry Kent had a brother Lieutenant Ernest Kent RFC  (Essex Regiment) 'died of wounds' 08/04/1917 buried at Cerisy-Gailly Military Cemetery. Also remembered on the war memorial at Burnham.  He was my great uncle; Harry Kent being my grandfather.

Harry re-enlisted in Oct 1919 serving until 1928 with the Worcestershire regiment and then with the Royal Tank Corps. He re-enlisted again in 1939 into the RTR being dismissed the service on 29/01/1944

Adrian Kent

Dear Adrian,

Many thanks for that - kindly dovetailing the highly interesting information about the patriotic Kent family.

I am still searching for a photo (aka image) of John Patrick O'Shea, who married Jessie Deuchar - erstwhile fiancee of Harry Kent.

FGSM_small.jpgNamings O Shea Medals.jpgor general GWF interest, I attach the Lieut O'Shea, IARO, medals...

Kindest regards,

Kim.