Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joe Sweeney Uniform Threads

gordon92

I thought it a good idea to publish an informal index of significant Joe Sweeney material so that a permanent record of Joe's substantial contributions could be maintained for use of all forum members and for future research.  I have listed below a few links to threads that I have bookmarked for my personal use mainly in the Highland and Scottish realms.  Perhaps, other members would be interested in continuing this thread by adding additional links to Joe's material that you consider important in your specialty areas.

Note: In most cases Joe did not initiate these threads but made noteworthy contributions as did other members.

RACD Acceptance Stamp

Interior Markings on British Uniforms

Balmorals and Tam O'Shanters

Kilts

Glengarries, Dicing, and Hose Tops

2nd Seaforth Highlanders Kit

More Kilts

Tropical Jacket & Trousers

Edited by gordon92

On 06/11/2016 at 19:34, gordon92 said:

I thought it a good idea to publish an informal index of significant Joe Sweeney material so that a permanent record of Joe's substantial contributions could be maintained for use of all forum members and for future research.  I have listed below a few links to threads that I have bookmarked for my personal use mainly in the Highland and Scottish realms.  Perhaps, other members would be interested in continuing this thread by adding additional links to Joe's material that you consider important in your specialty areas.

Note: In most cases Joe did not initiate these threads but made noteworthy contributions as did other members.

RACD Acceptance Stamp

Interior Markings on British Uniforms

Balmorals and Tam O'Shanters

Kilts

Glengarries, Dicing, and Hose Tops

2nd Seaforth Highlanders Kit

More Kilts

Tropical Jacket & Trousers

We need to find a way to stick/retain this at the top of the section of the forum.  Perhaps a moderator can help.

I wonder if the sensible money would be a separate sub-Forum with everything locked - just for research purposes - headed "Joe Sweeney material" or similar. If it's locked it won't eat up loads of bandwidth and everything's there.

8 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

We need to find a way to stick/retain this at the top of the section of the forum.  Perhaps a moderator can help.

7 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I wonder if the sensible money would be a separate sub-Forum with everything locked - just for research purposes - headed "Joe Sweeney material" or similar. If it's locked it won't eat up loads of bandwidth and everything's there.

Sensible ideas.  Which moderator would you suggest be contacted on the matter?

The sensible solution is for the op to tag this thread thoroughly - which I assume most, older, threads aren't,  thus making it searchable on the forum. 

10 hours ago, Beechhill said:

The sensible solution is for the op to tag this thread thoroughly - which I assume most, older, threads aren't,  thus making it searchable on the forum. 

Good suggestion.  I do not think I know how to add tags after the thread has been initiated.  Would you know?

On 11/9/2016 at 14:47, Skipman said:

Mike I think, as you are original poster, if you click edit on post number 1 you can edit tags.

Mike

20 hours ago, Beechhill said:

I'll have to go with Skipman on that one. Glad to be of - a very limited -assistance. 

/Dan 

Thanks for the instruction.  Done.

• 7 years later...

Did this subject come to fruition?

I would love to read Joe Sweeney's contributions and am trying to find a copy of writings about the kilts and their pleats in the Militaria Magazine April 2008.  Is the Militaria magazine the same as the Armourer Militaria magazine?

•  

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Marion Foster said:

I would love to read Joe Sweeney's contributions and am trying to find a copy of writings about the kilts and their pleats in the Militaria Magazine April 2008.  Is the Militaria magazine the same as the Armourer Militaria magazine?

•  

Welcome to the GWF

@gordon92 remains a member of the GWF my tag will alert them to your post.   I see you have made two requests for the article we usually recommend one topic one thread

to avoid duplication but as you now have two posts you can use the forum's personal message system.  You might also care to look at the 'postcards' thread es[ecially the contributions of @FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, Marion Foster said:

•  

Marion did you see the links to Joe Sweeney’s contributions on the opening post of this thread?  Two of them relate to kilts.

I have been perusing Joe Sweeney's post and it is good to have such information as there is so much misinformation out there.

My students are not just taught the craft of tailoring the kilt, they also learn about the history of the kilt and the tartan and any other associated information to enrich their mastery.

I will never stop learning and I was aware that I was unhappy with some dialogue regarding the variations of pleating of the kilt and was introducing new descriptions and assumptions.

I therefore came across this forum and Joe Sweeney's writings. I felt they  would be very informative and important to capture what he knew as suggested by one of your fellow members.

I appreciate the timely responses and help. I have actually sourced a copy of the April 2008 edition. If I am successful in purchasing it, I will be very happy to share if that is appropriate.

22 minutes ago, Marion Foster said:

I have been perusing Joe Sweeney's post and it is good to have such information as there is so much misinformation out there.

My students are not just taught the craft of tailoring the kilt, they also learn about the history of the kilt and the tartan and any other associated information to enrich their mastery.

I will never stop learning and I was aware that I was unhappy with some dialogue regarding the variations of pleating of the kilt and was introducing new descriptions and assumptions.

I therefore came across this forum and Joe Sweeney's writings. I felt they  would be very informative and important to capture what he knew as suggested by one of your fellow members.

I appreciate the timely responses and help. I have actually sourced a copy of the April 2008 edition. If I am successful in purchasing it, I will be very happy to share if that is appropriate.

That’s great news Marion and I know that the forum will be pleased to have a translation of Joe Sweeney’s informative article from the magazine. It’s good to know that you are dedicated to preserving an important traditional craft and information before it is lost.  When I enlisted in the Army many of the old kilts still existed, but now they are almost all gone and many uniform items come from China.